Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Will a rearend from a '97 Camaro fit a '00 Camaro

My buddy pulled the 9" he had in his '97 Camaro, he asked me if I wanted it. Will a 9" made to bolt to a '97 bolt right up to my '00 Camaro? Will I need to get a shorter or longer driveshaft? What about U joints, do I need new better ones?

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Yes it will bolt up, BUT it will have different backing plates that are made for the LT1 rear calipers. Not really a big deal if hes gonna give you the rear brakes off the car too, If not you'll have to buy some LT1 rear brake stuff. If you wanted you could pull the axles and swap on some LS1 backing plates (requires pressing the wheel bearings off/on each axle), and use your factory calipers and everything.

I don't believe you NEED a new d-shaft, however i think it is recommended for a 9" because you can pick up some vibration (factory shaft is too short). Maybe someone else knows better?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Depending on if you wish to retain/currently have ABS and TCS, you may need to install reluctor rings and sensors. If I remember correctly, you can retain the stock driveshaft, but will need an adapter u-joint for the driveshaft to rear end connection. Also, depending on the gears installed, and your stock gear ratio, you may find your speedometer will not read properly.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ok thanks for the info. So besides the backing plates and drive shaft I'm good then. Will my abs/tcs hook up to that rearend (being its for an LT1 car) if it too has abs/tcs hook ups? Or will I need to have to swap stuff from an LS1 car?

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

You can get an adapter u-joint that adapts your stock drive shaft to the 9". PRE-447 should be the number at Napa. I have one sitting in my garage I ended up not using because the U-joint on the stock driveshaft is such a PITA to remove and it ends up not going into the trans all the way because the stock driveshaft is too short.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

So since your driveshaft ended up being too short, should I just avoid the trouble and buy a new one?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

On most vehicles, it is not an issue. It is only shorter by maybe a 1/2" to an 1". I still use a stock length driveshaft, although it is carbon fiber. I have not had any issues. A very small amount of people have reported a vibration issue that was resolved by replacing the driveshaft with a longer one. If you are pushing more power than stock or plan on adding power in the future, upgrading the driveshaft may not be a bad idea.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ok, well I don't have a bunch of mods, just a cam swap pushing 387 at the wheels. But it is going to be a turbo car in the near future so I might as well upgrade.

Thread Information