Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Whine under acceleration?

Well, after picking my car up from having it tuned, I noticed a horrible whine under acceleration. Not noticeable till bout 30mph or so, and progressively gets worse. It only does it when I push the gas. It is f-in loud in 4th and 5th gear. My rear is a stock 10-bolt with GM 4.10's. Had it in there for over 6 months and no problems. I busted the diff. cover off today and checked inside. Looked good. New fluid and additive, still whines. The tuner said my axle was warped. I pulled it and checked. Looked fine as well. The problem came from no-where. I've researched and found several different things, but not an exact description of my problem. The noise seems to come from the rear. Doesn't do it in neutral or in gear off the throttle. Only when I accelerate. Any input would be great...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It could be the gears, side bearings, or pinion bearings that whine under accel.
    It could have been damaged during the tuning. Did they tune on a dyno or drive it on the street? A lot of WOT runs can really abuse a rear end.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

It was done on the dyno. I've drove the car hard since I've had it. Why start now? The pinion bearing does have a small leak. If it's the differential, why would it only do it under acceleration? You can barely mash the gas and it picks right up. Mash the clutch in, it quits. Let off the gas, it quits. The driveshaft is constantly turning while moving down the road...Seems it would do it all the time if that were the case. It just makes no sense.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

maybe your torque arm is cracked. No whine under normal load, but when u step on it, it throws it out place and causes the whine. My torque arm was cracked and doing this. Check that. Its only going to whine when your transmission and rear end pinion are moving, AKA mashing on the gas. When u mash on the gas real hard your transmission will take a small dive and so will the rear end, if its not at the right degree or if the torque arm is cracked, it will whine.
    Last edited by Lunatikgixxer; 06-07-2010 at 06:59 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Sounds to me like classic gear noise

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    It was done on the dyno. I've drove the car hard since I've had it. Why start now? The pinion bearing does have a small leak. If it's the differential, why would it only do it under acceleration? You can barely mash the gas and it picks right up. Mash the clutch in, it quits. Let off the gas, it quits. The driveshaft is constantly turning while moving down the road...Seems it would do it all the time if that were the case. It just makes no sense.
    Because it's under load.

Just as Lunati explained in detail, a torque arm that is not 100% in full rigidty, will throw the drivetrain geometry off under load. If it's cracked, twisted, etc. My buddy had my car and brought it back to me with a busted torque arm mount and had actually ended up twisting it. Which I'm not going to point fingers at him, or blame him, both of us know these are one of the very VERY weak links in the car, so it happens.

If you get an aftermarket torque arm, bust for the UMI unit with the new crossmember to get it off of being bolted to the transmission tailshaft housing. That's what I'll be doing should I ever decide to get serious with the car and not trade it for a SUV

Mark at KYspeed is a sponsor on this site and seems to be very helpful and great to deal with

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Not the torque arm... Looks normal. I'm thinking the pinion bearing, carrier bearing, or the u-joints. Can't be gear noise. It started out of no where. I could see that if I had swapped gears, etc. Pulling the driveshaft now and inspecting u's and pinion nut.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Well, I discovered the passenger side axle is warped. Now, the question is...Is this causing my whine or has it punished a bearing? The pinion has no play in it. Seems alright. Carrier bearing or the wheel bearing? The axle is warped at the hub, so I'm thinking it may have wiped out the wheel bearing or is in the process of doing so.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My guess is a wheel bearing is shot on that side. Subscribed.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

The axle will wear out the outer wheel bearing, but shouldn't make it whine- will make a roaring noise, but not a whine (at least that's been my experience.)

Do you feel the whine in the shifter? Could it be in the transmission? Maybe try flushing the fluid? Starting with the simple things especially if it just started and hasn't built up over time.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah I agree. Every wheel bearing I've had makes a rumble/roar. Not even close to a whine.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Ok......when you are on the gas the pinion gear wants to ride up the ring and REMOVE itself from the housing... so if it is making a noise then it is usually indicating you have a pinion bearing issue. Same if you let off the gas and let it engine brake and have a noise you can either have a bad front bearing or loose pinion gear.. Since at coast the ring wants to swallow the pinion and send it out the cover...

Usually if you just set the rear up and have a whine you are to close with the backlash or pin depending on how the noise is...

Since you have not done gears, you can either have a pinion bearing going out, however usually that will make a whine under load and some noise under coast...
    If the gears are severely worn they can make a noise also...

Wheel bearings can be uncovered making turns...

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

I'm going to replace the axle first. Maybe the bearings are good and the axle is causing the whine. I checked the warped axle, wasn't scarred or pitted. May change the wheel bearing on that side just to be sure and eliminate a possibility. I already tried the flush and drain on fluid. Didn't affect the noise.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Definately change it- if you have the axle out, you're better off doing it now instead of having to go back and do it all again.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

I'm going to replace the axle first. Maybe the bearings are good and the axle is causing the whine. I checked the warped axle, wasn't scarred or pitted. May change the wheel bearing on that side just to be sure and eliminate a possibility. I already tried the flush and drain on fluid. Didn't affect the noise.
    The axle is not the noise you hear....

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
    The axle is not the noise you hear....
    i still think it has something to do with the tranny and pinion angle, and torque arm.

You sure its not cracked where its mounted? Mine was cracked in the rear where it was mounted, and BARELY cracked, i mean you had to really stare at it to see it, and it was enough to make the car whine like hell.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

If the tq arm is broke...then he should be getting a shudder at take off

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Well, I discovered the passenger side axle is warped. Now, the question is...Is this causing my whine or has it punished a bearing? The pinion has no play in it. Seems alright. Carrier bearing or the wheel bearing? The axle is warped at the hub, so I'm thinking it may have wiped out the wheel bearing or is in the process of doing so.
    Does your axle looks like this?

My rear wheel used to vibrate bad. I replace the bearing and put the axle back and the vibration is gone. I couldn't afford a new axle at the moment. Next time the bearing goes bad I will replace the axle too. I heard that this scourge mark even if it level with the rest of the shiny area can cause roaring noise. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm waiting to see if it is noise from tires. I had tires before that when they start to wear the start to make noise. Thanks.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Axle definitely doesn't look like that. It was warped and I caught it soon enough I believe. I put my new axle in and gave it a good spin. Sounds nothing like the one I took out. I'm changing the wheel bearing as well, just to be safe. Button her up after I hit this service call, let you guys know the outcome in 2 hours or so.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Yea, the axle being gouged up like that will wear out the new bearing quick. I'd think you'd have some noise too, but not really sure.

Thread Information