Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

What type of 9" are you using, any Ford stock?

Alot of you use 9", but are they all aftermarket and are they that much better than a stock 9"? I found one that the width if close enough, but will have to make the bakes fit and it has no reluctor for slip/brakes, but I don't want those anyways. A shop that builds race rears will be transferring the spring perches with proper pinion angle. Its a helluva lot cheaper, but am I using alot weaker rear than aftermarket?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by xirxious View Post
    Alot of you use 9", but are they all aftermarket and are they that much better than a stock 9"? I found one that the width if close enough, but will have to make the bakes fit and it has no reluctor for slip/brakes, but I don't want those anyways. A shop that builds race rears will be transferring the spring perches with proper pinion angle. Its a helluva lot cheaper, but am I using alot weaker rear than aftermarket?
    I have an aftermarket Moser case and Strange pro Nodular Third Member. It is much cheaper and a whole lot easier just to buy a Moser Case with the torque arm mount and axles. You can buy that set up for $1000 and then use your third member that you have. Trying to adapt one with fabing a torque arm mount, cutting axles etcc.. You will end up haveing a shitty looking install and you will end up spending more money. Just my .02
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I have a Ford 9" in my car. Lately I have been practicing launching my car and have been beating the hell out of it. The Ford 9" is a very stout rear I can't imagine you being able to break it. What kind of power are you pushing?

Black
    00 WS6

I have a moser 9", detroit locker, alumn. case with 35 spline axles

WHITE
    2002 Z28

9 inch rear

i like the Moser housing and axle suggestion, is there another TRUTRAC alternative on the market for a street machine with a 6 speed. i have been impressed with the Strange engineering innovations, but this is all over my head. the only consensus that i can draw is that it really won't cost any more to buy new and get the exact setup that i need as opposed to used prices. thx

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

I'm in the process of buying the heads, exhause, intake ect. and was shooting for 450-500 hp and adding a 50 shot or so. I have friends that build circle track cars and are incredible fabricators, so its not like a duct tape & J&B weld fab job. We both work as engineers and can set up stuff well. Its going to cost me about 1/3 the cash including a new 3rd member. I'd like to gundrill teh axles, too. Their late model is 600 horse and uses drilled out axles and a quick change. Alot less miles on it, but everyone of them at full speed. I was just wondering if I'm making a 10 bolt replacement that will blow anyway, or if I should spend the grand on a moser housing.

While I'm at it, does anyone know the measurement axle plate to axle plate on a '98?

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    I have a Ford 9" in my car. Lately I have been practicing launching my car and have been beating the hell out of it. The Ford 9" is a very stout rear I can't imagine you being able to break it. What kind of power are you pushing?

Thread Information