Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

What can I do with this?

I bought this third member today for $25, I don't know what the gear ratio is, nor do I know what it came out of (besides a Ford Truck). I am going to call the guy that sold it to me back tomorrow to figure out the specifics.

My question is, would this work with an F-Body? I'm going to call Moser tomorrow to talk to them about it, I just wanted your guys' opinion before I wasted my time with them.

Thanks.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

No it will not work

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    No it will not work
    Well, I guess I should have been a little more specific...I'm going to buy a case when I get the money, I know this won't bolt right into my stock rear.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Well, I guess I should have been a little more specific...I'm going to buy a case when I get the money, I know this won't bolt right into my stock rear.
    You are going to have to find a ford rear with that missing and it is going to have to be able to bolt up under your car. Good luck finding one.

Also, that thing is all rusted and the gears are shot. Your best bet is to take it to a swap meet and try to get more than $25 for it

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Any 9" ford third member will work in a moser case. I would have that one rebuilt with a 31 spline detroit trutrac, and new gears. You probly saved yourself $200-300 than buying new. Just be sure to match your posi unit splines to your axles. You can buy a moser case and axles for about 1k
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

good paper weights

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

That is a C7AW-E which is a low strength 28 spline third member. Came out of a vehicle post 1970 and has very little nodular iron content. Don't waste your money rebuilding that piece. What you want is a thrid member with a big "N" stamped on the front (stands for nodular iron) and has two verticle ribs. They are tought but not impossible to find in a junk yard, but folks know what they are so you are going to pay. Best bet is to buy a used N case on ebay and build it or just buy the Moser iron third member. You will have a tough time building a strong used N third member (with labor) for the price Moser sells theirs for.

Thread Information