Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

well it happened again but worse..

last new years my car got stuck into 4th and i got it and bought a new shifter and has done fine ever since. Well i had it out today since it was so nice and on the way home from gettin some parts for my new DD i had the itch to hit it from 70 since i havent with the new gears and i put her in third and got on it shifted into 4th, not hard i wasnt trying to shift fast, then i went to put into nuetral after i maxed out 4th an it is stuck again and now it has slight constant ticking from the tranny. Sucks, i dont know what would be the cheaper route. any one have any ideas feel free to feed them to me thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

6 speed right?
    The problem is with the synchro keys. Updated/upgraded keys are out there. It requires trans removal and disassembly to fix. Might as well do a full rebuild/upgrade while you're in there.

red

2nd that rebuild it and make better.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks, i figured i messed up the synchros. what should i do as in like getting a steel shift fork instead of the aluminum and where would i get that and where would i get new snychros? sorry for all the questions just trying to get it fixed with out spending tons of money but still making it stronger than it was

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

update, i got it out of fourth last night and i took it down the road and it feels fine every gear works and it feels normal. i know its messed up for sure but drives just fine. im going to order new keys, synchros, synchro rings, bronze shift fork pads and steel shift fork. also going to do this to 1st and 2nd gear while im in there.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I think I remember telling you this would happen

I figured a shifter wasn't going to fix your problem.

May as well get a complete kit and do the whole trans. Would seem pointless to go through all the trouble to tear it down and only replace a few parts.
    I'm willing to bet there is also some trash floating around in there as well. Best to tear it all down and do it all.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

hahaha yes yes you did. fbj. you think i should do 5th and 6th as well? or is 1-4 good? its like 470 for those parts and they make a complete rebuild kit for 5th 6th and reverse but those gears arent really used much. its like 650 for the whole thing.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    hahaha yes yes you did. fbj. you think i should do 5th and 6th as well? or is 1-4 good? its like 470 for those parts and they make a complete rebuild kit for 5th 6th and reverse but those gears arent really used much. its like 650 for the whole thing.
    I had mine fully rebuilt when this happened to me. Figured since it was already out might as well do it all.

Ideally you shouldn't really ever be shifting into an OD gear at WOT. I don't hear too often of synchros going bad in those two gears, but I guess anything in possible.

The weakest links are the 3-4 shift fork and the synchro keys for those gears. Over extending your shifts will cause this also.

Do yourself a favor and get an aftermarket shifter with solid stops if you haven't already. This could save you some headache in the future.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks, i do i have the pro 5.0 since about a week after it happened last time. ive only gone into 5th once in a race and that was just because it was so close of a race. I mean dont really think ill use it so i figured why do it. im gonna have to think about it though. it wouldnt be a bad idea

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

sucks to be you kid, 33k miles and already screwed your tranny. any idea who gonna do the rebuild????

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

about to turn 36 bud. lol i knew u were gonna have some smart ass remark to this.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange to see a 24 year old calling people kids???

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My tranny went at 12K miles on a garage queen. Feel blessed yours lasted 3 times as long

Seems the T56 is hit or miss. Alot of talk from others they are greatest thing since sliced bread, but I haven't found anything to really convince me.
    They can be somewhat delicate and finicky if not treated right. I've seen others just fail without warning or abuse,,,and some go for many miles.....go figure.

When they do break, it's a good idea to just go through it all and change all the weak links. Once they are beefed, they can be a great transmission.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My only weak link right now is the input shaft. Keeping my fingers crossed as I'll soon be running 550+ to the wheels.

Stock input shaft?? They aren't bad really, they are all fine spline which is much stronger than the old 10 spline course input shafts in some other transmissions.

The real weak part as far as shafts go,,,,is the output shaft. They are still the tiny little 350 turbo/4L60E output shaft and they take the little yoke as a result.
    They really need to be upgraded to the Viper style output shaft,,,which is bascially 400 turbo/4L80E style. Much larger yoke as a result too so you gain much needed strength there as well. It's a win win.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange to see a 24 year old calling people kids???

lol idk if u know but its my big brother. So i am little kid to him haha

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Stock input shaft?? They aren't bad really, they are all fine spline which is much stronger than the old 10 spline course input shafts in some other transmissions.

The real weak part as far as shafts go,,,,is the output shaft. They are still the tiny little 350 turbo/4L60E output shaft and they take the little yoke as a result.
    They really need to be upgraded to the Viper style output shaft,,,which is bascially 400 turbo/4L80E style. Much larger yoke as a result too so you gain much needed strength there as well. It's a win win.
    Haha yes I meant output shaft!

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    lol idk if u know but its my big brother. So i am little kid to him haha

If you're 36 and he's 24 wouldn't he be your little brother?? I'm confused I guess

Thread Information