Black
    97 firebird WS6

Wave trac vs. trutrac

getting ready 2 order a 9" rear. i heard that some people have actually broken a trutrac set up. A rear w/ wave trac has a lifetime warranty but is like $800 more. looking for your opinion. Also wat size axles would you recommend? my car is putting out like 450rwhp on spray. Wanna b able to launch hard and not have any worries. Thanks for your opinion.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 97ramair View Post
    getting ready 2 order a 9" rear. i heard that some people have actually broken a trutrac set up. A rear w/ wave trac has a lifetime warranty but is like $800 more. looking for your opinion. Also wat size axles would you recommend? my car is putting out like 450rwhp on spray. Wanna b able to launch hard and not have any worries. Thanks for your opinion.
    well i have a tru trac, I want to drag race and wish i didnt buy the tru trac and ppl have broken them. the wavetrac looks nice but it is pricey and there to new to have any info on them but the warranty is nice. ever thought of a spool which has a lot less mass to move. and as far as splines the more the better. hope this helps a little

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My Moser 12 bolt is equipped with a True Trac -- good reviews and recommended by the speed shop as they run it in their own track car. I'll know more this summer...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My Moser 12 bolt is equipped with a True Trac -- good reviews and recommended by the speed shop as they run it in their own track car. I'll know more this summer...
    lol, I was just about to link him to your thread.

We are talking about posi rear ends right? I know a lot of people use the Auburns. A guy I used to hang out with had posi trac, he was in the 450-500 range on motor, plus spray, 4.11's and he either had an Auburn or an Eaton rear, never had any trouble out of it.

Now that I think about it, I think he was an Eaton.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

need to ask mr. luos he has a 9" whit the tru trac i think and his is 550 rwhp

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

for most apps i think tru trac is fine..obviously there are always exceptions..

WHITE
    2002 Z28

trutrac vs wavetrac

one of LS1 Tech.com sponsors says that Detroit Locker was sold to another company recently and the Trutracs have not been performing as well as they did originally. I like the M9 and Wavetrac install, Torque Arm and trans mission brace fit in perfectly and seems to be more sturdy. Very expensive but a lot of the expenses are up front such as oil fill and drain along with the torque arm which were optional with the Trutrac. If I just had $4K there is no doubt which rear-end I would own.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

There's no more Detroit Locker?? That's the way I'd go with the 9'.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    There's no more Detroit Locker?? That's the way I'd go with the 9'.
    no i think there is..just made by another company.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well, this sucks. I am saving for an Eaton unit for my old carrier. Hopefully I will fare better.

Mag Red
    1999 Covette

Auburn = Junk

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have been talking with my manager about the TruTrac and he told me NOT to use synthetic gear oil once I buy mine. This true?

Black
    97 firebird WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I have been talking with my manager about the TruTrac and he told me NOT to use synthetic gear oil once I buy mine. This true?
    My guy said the same too! have no idea why. was gonna put amsoil in but he recommended regular gear oil. My rear is going in on wednesday so I'm xcited to drive it although i really wont be for like another 2 months.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

OK. That settles that. I was like WTF when my manager told me.

Black
    97 firebird WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    OK. That settles that. I was like WTF when my manager told me.
    i see your in NJ. whos' your performance guy? saw a car like yours in my guy's shop in long island.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

i see your in NJ. whos' your performance guy? saw a car like yours in my guy's shop in long island.
    I take mine to TTP in Little Falls, NJ.

Arrow Synthetic Recommendation

My guy said the same too! have no idea why. was gonna put amsoil in but he recommended regular gear oil. My rear is going in on wednesday so I'm xcited to drive it although i really wont be for like another 2 months.
    I've talked to Amsoil's technical director about Eaton's recommendation to not use synthetic gear lubes. Amsoil has been in contact with Eaton and has offered resources to test Amsoil gear lube in Eaton's differential units. As it turns out, Eaton tested some unspecified synthetic gear lubes over ten years ago and had some bad experiences. Eaton has not taken Amsoil up on their offer to do updated testing so Eaton's outdated testing and related recommendations remain today.

Interestingly, other brands of differentials including Wavetrack have no problem recommending synthetic gear lubes.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ I wondered about this. Both Moser and Eaton recommended conventional gear oil for my True Trac equipped 12 bolt.

Awaiting Activation

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 camaro b4c

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My B4C has the moser 12 bolt with 31spline axels and a Detriot True Trac. I love this rear. A little whine on the decel but not enough to warrent a new set up. I use conventional gear oil also w/ no problems. I did swap the moser bearings with timkin however...and i know the seals on the axels are smaller and i have replaced each side once allready.. Dont know why those seals failed, might have pinched them putting the axels back in..but IMO its a solid unit and can take abuse.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenbitch View Post
    My B4C has the moser 12 bolt with 31spline axels and a Detriot True Trac. I love this rear. A little whine on the decel but not enough to warrent a new set up. I use conventional gear oil also w/ no problems. I did swap the moser bearings with timkin however...and i know the seals on the axels are smaller and i have replaced each side once allready.. Dont know why those seals failed, might have pinched them putting the axels back in..but IMO its a solid unit and can take abuse.

Good to hear. I'm looking forward to getting our car back on the road to see what all the changes have done for it.

Thread Information