Thread: Trans swap

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Trans swap

Hey all,
    I'm looking to swap my T-56 for the Tick Performance T-56 magnum, I have gear options and im not sure which to go for.
    Option 1: 2.66,1.78,1.30,1.00,.80,.63
    Option 2: 2.97,2.10,1.46,1.00,.74,.50

I still have the stock rear gears. just not sure what they are, the car stock was a M6 if that helps.. I plan to change the rear end in the future and also don't know what to run for gears... The car is mostly street use at the moment but will see the strip once all mods are done, maybe another year. any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Have you talked with Tick about this yet?

I would think they are in a better position to advise you on what would work best for your needs. I've talked with them a few times and they've been a big help each time.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

I wrote them an email Saturday, they haven't responded yet but I'm sure I'm not the only person they have to deal with. Plus Monday was a holiday.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    Hey all,
    I'm looking to swap my T-56 for the Tick Performance T-56 magnum, I have gear options and im not sure which to go for.
    Option 1: 2.66,1.78,1.30,1.00,.80,.63
    Option 2: 2.97,2.10,1.46,1.00,.74,.50

I still have the stock rear gears. just not sure what they are, the car stock was a M6 if that helps.. I plan to change the rear end in the future and also don't know what to run for gears... The car is mostly street use at the moment but will see the strip once all mods are done, maybe another year. any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    The 2nd gear set ratio is from the t56 in the gto and z06. The lower gear set will be like adding 3.90 gears to the car in the rear while keeping the same final overdrive you have now which is a good deal for short acceleration runs.

The only disadvantage to that gear set is that the 3-4 shift drop in the gto is notorious for being way too big. Its a tough call to make on one hand you get rear gears without rear gears but you do take a hit on the 3-4 shift.

That being said if you never plan to change the rear ratio get that gear set just be weary of the 3-4. If you do want to change gears then go with the original 2.66, but I would see about getting the stock rear ratio in 5-6 of .74 and .5. If thats not an option then I would def go with the 2.97 to get the 5-6 gear set ratio
    Last edited by redbird555; 02-19-2013 at 11:21 AM.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    The 2nd gear set ratio is from the t56 in the gto and z06. The lower gear set will be like adding 3.90 gears to the car in the rear while keeping the same final overdrive you have now which is a good deal for short acceleration runs.

The only disadvantage to that gear set is that the 3-4 shift drop in the gto is notorious for being way too big. Its a tough call to make on one hand you get rear gears without rear gears but you do take a hit on the 3-4 shift.

That being said if you never plan to change the rear ratio get that gear set just be weary of the 3-4. If you do want to change gears then go with the original 2.66, but I would see about getting the stock rear ratio in 5-6 of .74 and .5. If thats not an option then I would def go with the 2.97 to get the 5-6 gear set ratio

Thanks a lot for the info, I do plan to change the rear to a FAB 9, I'm just not sure what i would do for gearing.. like i said the car is mostly a street car, in that i would mostly drive it to work (100mi round trip all highway), but when it does go to the track it needs to perform as well.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Your gear selections will also largely depend on what your current and future mods will be. Do you have an aftermarket cam or plan on getting one? These sort of things compliment which gear you want to have too.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Your gear selections will also largely depend on what your current and future mods will be. Do you have an aftermarket cam or plan on getting one? These sort of things compliment which gear you want to have too.
    Currently the car has a LS3, forged, and cammed. putting 525 to the ground.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

I plan to stay NA for now. at least until the rear and suspension gets done over. the future may hold a pro charger. but for now just the LS3 with a T-56 magnum, and then the FAB 9.

Thread Information