White
    1999 T/A

Trannys shott... Rebuild or swap??? What to do

ive heard mixed things about rebuilt trannys and my local mechanic who ive dealt with for a long time quoted $1700 said and done for EVERYTHING in a total overhaul. but if im dropping this much in id rather just do it right and make this motha as bulletproof as possible. so i was gonna get it done all HD and throw a nice shift kit in there n all... but will a rebuilt tranny hold up over time or is it more worth it to get a new or swap out tranny?????

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I had mine rebuilt 2 years ago, added a Transgo shiftkit and had everything upgraded. I wouldn't buy another new one, I would just have the existing one rebuilt and upgraded. Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a deeper pan on there to hold 2-3 quarts more fluid and get a good tranny cooler. Heat is one of the biggest killers of the 4l60E and the added fluid and cooler will help to reduce the temps.

Mine got kevlar bands, new pumps, shift kit, added clutches, upgraded the 2-3 shift, everything I need to be strong. Its rated to handle 500 and was all done for $1100. One of the nicest shifting automatic trannies I have rode in and it has a 3800 stall convertor in it. $1700 is the highest quote I have ever heard of on a 4l60E rebuild. I think if you shop around you could get it upgraded for a lot less. Buying a brand new one would run you around $2,000 if I am not mistaken as well. Do some shopping around locally before you jump into anything.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

White
    1999 T/A

of course... im gonna have to ask him to be alil more specific wen i talk to him tomorrow. cuz he emphasized that the price was to overhaul EVERYTHING... well see wut that means lol. 1100 sounds a LOT nicer than 1700 before going heavy duty parts lol.

1100 wasnt with the stall coverter was it??? i dont even wanna think about a deeper pan.... my car already barely makes it over speed bumps lol

im deff puttin in a B&M transpack shift improver and a Fluid cooler... they seem worth it not very expensive and better performance and life for tranny.
    Last edited by T/AKing; 11-30-2006 at 08:24 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by T/AKing View Post
    of course... im gonna have to ask him to be alil more specific wen i talk to him tomorrow. cuz he emphasized that the price was to overhaul EVERYTHING... well see wut that means lol. 1100 sounds a LOT nicer than 1700 before going heavy duty parts lol.

1100 wasnt with the stall coverter was it??? i dont even wanna think about a deeper pan.... my car already barely makes it over speed bumps lol

im deff puttin in a B&M transpack shift improver and a Fluid cooler... they seem worth it not very expensive and better performance and life for tranny.
    No, the 1100 wasn't including the convertor price. The cooler and shift kit will help a lot to prolong the life. The more you question him about stuff, he is going to try that much harder to sell his service and $1700 upon you. He may be the man to do your job too, just shop around, ask around and get some other perspectives and estimates before you jump into anything.

White
    1999 T/A

good thing i dont have class on fridays.

time to make this biatch bulletproof

just wonderin.... do u think my trannys seemingly sluggish shifts going first to second or somethin might of been a sign of this happenin????

weve been usin this local guy down the road since the days of the cracked poly intake manifold on my first car.... an old arse bonneville hahah n parts n labor on that thing was like 900

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by T/AKing View Post

just wonderin.... do u think my trannys seemingly sluggish shifts going first to second or somethin might of been a sign of this happenin????
    Very possible

White
    1999 T/A

its all good.... trannys at a local shop whos been a family friend for over 10 years. drove by yesterday and my car was up on the lift, flywheel exposed n i could see my tranny layin on a table in the back. it lookd like they just started to dismantle it. should be gettin a call today bout how it looks and wut were gonna put back in it.

Thread Information