Thread: Tranny problem?

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Tranny problem?

Several problems i've been havin with my drivetrain:

I was just peeling out around a corner and shifted into second and it grinded until i took it out. I was sure that i had the clutch to the floor and now when i downshift into second, i have to push much harder for it to go in. Another problem that i've been having, is every now and then when im at low RPM's and i downshift from 5th to 4th, it grinds for a second, then goes into gear. I also noticed that the fluid in the master cylinder resorvior was dark. The only reason i can think of that caused these problems was when I burnt the clutch badly when i was peeling out. I had only known how to drive a stick for probably a month, but i shifted into second while the tires were spinning and then into third. The clutch pedal felt like it lost pressure. The car reeked of a burnt clutch for a lil while and now my car does things that i mentioned before. Does anyone have any advice?
    Last edited by GottaHaveLS1; 04-07-2006 at 08:57 AM.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Sebring Metalic Silver
    2000 Z28 Camaro

You have one of 2 problems going on either a junk pressure plate from the heat of slipping the clutch or broken sicros. If it is the pressure plate not a big deal pull the trans and change the clutch and pressure plate and have the flywheel resurfaced. If it is the sincros then that is a bigger problem as the trans would have to be rebuilt and in my opion the sincros in the GM T56 are junk as well s the shifting forks but for a few $100 you can have a upgrade kit put in and not have any more problems. Good luck....

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

This doesn't sound good... but thank you. It looks like i have somethings to look into now...

Sebring Metalic Silver
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Go to your local GM dealar and get a price on a GM 03' ZO6 clutch and pressure plate kit it will come with a new flywheel and all the parts needed to get the car back up and running. You will need a 26 spline clutch alinement tool other than that it comes with clutch disc pressure plate and flywheel. Oh and get a 01' Z28 slave cylinder also as it is much better than the 98-00.

Thread Information