Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torsen or Posi

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Torsen or Posi

Torsen or Posi differential---------What rear do you prefer? What problems have you heard about them? Which one do ya think is better?

I had a Torsen in the 97SS and I have a Posi in the 98z. I have a set of 4:10s I am going to put in the 98. Which rear should I use?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I opt for the PowerTrax "Locker" deal that goes right inside your stock carrier.
    I do donuts on a regular bassis and ALL clutch type units don't like that.
    But if your stuck on that type versus a locker the torsen type or cone type would be my second choice.

I actually like hearing a lockers "dog teeth" when going around a corner in a car with full exhaust and NOT "One chamber" race mufflers. Plus it eighther works 100% or it doesn't not a little slip here a little slip there!!!

Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Wow! I would expect more people to reply to this thread! You either have one or the other> 96-97 SS was an option for the torsen, 93-98 was posi, and 99-02 up was torsen. !

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

torsen is centrifugally actuated... no posi untill one spins, then it catches. if you break it, you buy another one. cone or Auburn style... cheap design, same problem. once they wear out they are junk! buy another one. i personally think the Eaton clutch style is the best, reliable, can be rebuilt if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 99RedRagtop View Post
    torsen is centrifugally actuated... no posi untill one spins, then it catches. if you break it, you buy another one. cone or Auburn style... cheap design, same problem. once they wear out they are junk! buy another one. i personally think the Eaton clutch style is the best, reliable, can be rebuilt if needed.
    not true,the torsen is not governer design.Its is constantly working to spilt the load through a set of worn gears,its a great differential carrier.Once you use a torsen you'll never go back.I would get the Hi performance version torsen with the preload clutches<best carrier you will ever use.I installed a new Auburn in my wifes,It had the torsen.She said what the hell did you do to my car! it handles like shit now!I put the torsen bk in.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    not true,the torsen is not governer design.Its is constantly working to spilt the load through a set of worn gears,its a great differential carrier.Once you use a torsen you'll never go back.I would get the Hi performance version torsen with the preload clutches<best carrier you will ever use.I installed a new Auburn in my wifes,It had the torsen.She said what the hell did you do to my car! it handles like shit now!I put the torsen bk in.
    Do our F-Bodys w/torsens have the preload clutches and are they the high performance differentials?

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Do our F-Bodys w/torsens have the preload clutches and are they the high performance differentials?
    nope they are as pictured above,you can pick up the hi per version at many of the sponsers.I'm sure Rapid Motor sports sells them.

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

sorry, i stand corrected. was thinking of the governor actuated unit, that does have a reputation for breakage. the torsen is a very good unit, but will be more expensive than the eaton. definetly stay away from the auburn style. it comes down to this... you get what you pay for.

black
    1999 trans am

i had a auburn limited slip in my car it lasted 2 months put the stock torsen back in it and still running it with no problem
    crane cam 228/232 .600 lift, jet hot long tubes, full exhaust, self ported tb, jessel ss rockers, fast intake, 4.10 gear, and lots of love.

Quote Originally Posted by s99ta View Post
    i had a auburn limited slip in my car it lasted 2 months put the stock torsen back in it and still running it with no problem
    yep i'm not a auburn fan,i noticed the car had a bad vibration after the auburn install too.Put the torsen in and the vibration is gone.So i would have to think the Auburn was not balanced.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

I have a '02Firehawk with the Auburn option rear end.40,000 miles with no problem - The last 15,000 with a Procharger and 465 hp at the rear wheels.Just adding my .02

you have the OEM version,the stock replacement hi perf unit that i bought was honestly junk.The oil looked terrible even after changing it two times.The cones seemed to wearing fast.I think the factory oem unit is much better with proper balance and better wearing parts.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mghawk57 View Post
    I have a '02Firehawk with the Auburn option rear end.40,000 miles with no problem - The last 15,000 with a Procharger and 465 hp at the rear wheels.Just adding my .02
    What is the option for the Auburn? Do you have a link to what it is and how it works?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

It was a option from SLP for the Firehawk - No code on the SPID label for Gm

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

posi unit on stock 10 bolt

hey good info, but I have a 2001 Z28 10 bolt stock gears what is your thoughts on the eaton posi unit will it work better with the stock set up and furture hp/touque gains traction etc.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mghawk57 View Post
    What kind of 60ft times have you cut with it?

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

not sure

Ive never understood the difference between auburn, torsen, eaton...all I knew about were what gears to get, Richmond or Motive.

What is the deal in here?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Ive never understood the difference between auburn, torsen, eaton...all I knew about were what gears to get, Richmond or Motive.

What is the deal in here?
    Basically the differences are in the type of locking mechanism. Some units use clutch packs, such as the Auburn, which engage when there is a considerable difference between the rotating speed of one side compared to the other side. Unfortunately, clutch packs eventually wear out and the unit needs to be replaced, which can be costly.

The Torsen is a torque-biasing unit, meaning when one wheel begins to slip, it tries to even out the torque split by sending power to the other side. Works well because there are no clutch packs to wear out, and also excellent for road courses, since there are no clutch packs to slip when the inside wheel lifts during cornering.

The Auburn and Torsen are both "Limited Slip" diffs.

The third type is a locker. When one wheel starts to spin, it locks both sides together so that they both get equal amounts of power. Its the best for drag racing and doesn't have any clutches to wear out. Automatic ones will lock and unlock when necessary, so it will be civilized around corners but go into full lock when the tires break loose. Richmond makes one called the PowerTraxx, its relatively affordable and it s full locker as opposed to a Limited slip.

Hope that helps.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

our f-bodys are posi.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Thread Information