Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Torque arm clunk

I have been getting this annoying clunk from the rear end since i put the moser9" in my car. I have UMI adj LCAs, adj PHB, adj TA, torque arm relocation kit and SFCs. The clunk is because my TA is hitting my driveshaft tunnel above the rear end. I also did the heater hose mod. Im wondering if i put those rubber pieces back on the springs if i can gain that little extra clearance i need. Does anyone have any ideas on what i can do to stop the clunking or experienced something similar? I have the pinion angle set as well..i cant figure it out

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

When installing an aftermarket TA, you need to "massage" the inside of the driveshaft tunnel with an Air Hammer. This is because the plate on the TA that bolts to the rear is bigger than stock and therefore needs more room.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    When installing an aftermarket TA, you need to "massage" the inside of the driveshaft tunnel with an Air Hammer. This is because the plate on the TA that bolts to the rear is bigger than stock and therefore needs more room.
    I agree. I had the same exact issue the OP was having with my Moser 9" and TrakPak, but only in a turn. Turns out the TA was hitting in the tunnel.

Hope that fixes your problem.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It hits on the top or side of the tunnel? I have started upgrading our rear suspension components and am simply curious.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It hits on the top or side of the tunnel? I have started upgrading our rear suspension components and am simply curious.
    From what I have gathered, the larger your rear-end (Dana 60 being the largest), the worse off this gets. It is evident with all aftermarket TA mfg (Spohn, UMI, BMR, etc). The larger the housing gets the further it is going to push the torque arm to the drivers side of the tunnel. There are different mounting holes you can use to try to gain some clearance, but most just create their own, depending on the application and how much you need.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    So will I have to remove the rear end to get enough room to "massage" the driveshaft tunnel? I havent been under there in awhile so Im not sure if theres enough room to swing a hammer

Thread Information