Ten bolts are great...please help

The car is basically a dd, with occasional trips to the 1/4. and I get on it every now and again. it's a M6 and the specifics are in my sig. I am hearing a "whomping" noise, sounds simular to a flat spot on a tire (which the back two are new) even when i'm pulling out of the parking lot I can hear it a little. The sound get worse at 35 mph and above. I have a mild vibration at 65 mph. I can feel it in the seat, and the wheel shakes a little two. ALSO there is wear on the pass side wheel well. Like the tire is hitting It's wearing away the under coating in one spot. Thanks for the help/

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Its shot. Get a new one. www.strangeengineering.net

Be prepared to spend everything you got, and throw in an arm and a couple toes for down payment.

Can't wait, I guess that's life in the big city. I priced the axle out anyway and it's $224 + tax and $24 for the axle berring. Prob just gunna save for a real rear,but if it gets worse I will have to get a replacement. Does anyone know what will happen if I don't repair it for a while? lol that's a new one,lol

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Don't do any clutch drops, and it should last a while. No spinning either. Well, I don't think doughnuts would hurt.

But really, who knows, it might be there one minute, and completely shot the next. Save up for the real deal would be my advice, and hope you have another car in case that one craps out on you.

I took it apart and tere were shavings from the magnet everywhere, the axle had scratches on the cone part of it, so I eplaced the axle and no change,any ideas?

I'd check the axle tubes to make sure they don't have a slight warp to them, check both axles again, check the carrier pre-load(side to side movement), make sure the rims aren't warped, check axle bearings, make sure the spider gears don't have excessive play in them to cause the axles to move in and out more than they should, etc.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by trans-am nut View Post
    I took it apart and tere were shavings from the magnet everywhere, the axle had scratches on the cone part of it, so I eplaced the axle and no change,any ideas?
    There are a lot of possibilities, really. The fact that the rear had metal shavings in it (which can often be attributed to wear from the limited slip diff, which is normal) could very well be a coincidence.

Firs thing I would do is make sure all the wheels are balanced. If you lost a wheel weight, that can throw everything off. Also make sure the the driveshaft is in balance, that will definitely give you vibrations at different speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    There are a lot of possibilities, really. The fact that the rear had metal shavings in it (which can often be attributed to wear from the limited slip diff, which is normal) could very well be a coincidence.

Firs thing I would do is make sure all the wheels are balanced. If you lost a wheel weight, that can throw everything off. Also make sure the the driveshaft is in balance, that will definitely give you vibrations at different speeds.
    New tires on the back, rims are good, the shavings chunks are from the magnet (I don't know why). The old axle had scratches on the cone part.

how could I check the axle tubes, and what was cause the magnet to get tore up?

Checking the axle tube is done prettly much by the ol' calibrated eyeball. Sounds like as far as the magnet goes, it became dislodged from the cover and got caught in the gears.

Look and the R&P real good and look at the carrier and spider gears for any missing chucks or worn areas. Also you may want to check u-joints and driveshaft for the vibration.

Can you load any pics. of where the tire is rubbing the body and possibly of the old axle?

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLt1 View Post
    Checking the axle tube is done prettly much by the ol' calibrated eyeball. Sounds like as far as the magnet goes, it became dislodged from the cover and got caught in the gears.

Look and the R&P real good and look at the carrier and spider gears for any missing chucks or worn areas. Also you may want to check u-joints and driveshaft for the vibration.

Can you load any pics. of where the tire is rubbing the body and possibly of the old axle?
    no missing gears, the pinion is tight, the magnet didn't come off, the driveshaft is tight also.
    the axle was worn on the cone part.

Thread Information