Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Strange axles bent

I recently acquired a Strange 12 bolt and have been busy tuning my suspension to play nice with the new rear. I've resorted to the stock torque arm for now because the noise transmitted into the car with the short arm i bought is unbearable to me. With the stock arm it only whines at about 65MPH and is fairly quiet above and below this speed. My PHB and LCA's are adjusted and the suspension feels great.... only one item remains until i'm happy with this setup and that is the reason for this post today.

Since day 1 i've had a pretty nasty vibration at highway speed. At first i thought it was the driveshaft. I tried flipping it 180... re-torquing the bolts and to no avail. I then noticed when my windows were open that i heard a squeak from the passenger rear tire. Got the car up in the air and HOLY CRAP THE WHOLE RIM IS WOBBLING!!!!

No it wasn't improperly torqued lugs.... nor was it a warped rim, thank god.... rotor?? nope... got that off too... was able to measure some wobble right at the hub of the axle.... crap!

Both sides...

DOUBLE CRAP!!!

Strange claims this is common with race axles if the car has a lot of wheel hop or if the car has hit many curbs or potholes or just really crappy pavement. OK fine i'll accept the fact that i bought a used rear out of a car with 505rwhp that had enormous 335 width rubber band thickness tires.

My question today is.... what's the best way to go about swapping these out. Previous owner claims the rear has a c-clip eliminator. Strange said on a 4th gen with OEM brakes that's impossible. so i'm not sure even how i'd get the current axles out. They claim the bearings are pressed ONTO the axles so it's clearly not like my 10 bolt. I'm gonna have to get this done i just want to figure out the easiest and most economical way in both time and money before i take another wrench to the car or spend a dime on parts.

All help is appreciated.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If it doesn't have c clips, then its super easy to swap axles. Just remove the brake rotor and unbolt the axle from the rearend housing and pull it out. If it doesn't have something that bolts the axles to the housing, then it still has c clips and you'll have to pull the center section cover off and remove the c clips.
    Here's what the C clip eliminators I'm used to seeing look like. There may be others out there I'm not familiar with. the eliminator is the big aluminum block

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

you may also need a slide hammer but the job should be an easy one. Bending Strange axles is not easy and replacements will not be cheap. Do it right ans check the bearings and the ring and pinion.

I've never had the issue with stock or aftermarket axles. Strange is all I use anymore. I'm surprised Strange says it's common for simple things like driving and wheel hop, I think not. Sounds more like someone hit a curb with it. Hard to say what it's been through since you bought it used.

Very easy to swap though. If it's a strange housing, it won't have C-clips. It has 9" ford housing ends welded on with pressed on axle bearings just like a ford. Simply remove the bolts that hold the bearing retainer plate and the axle slides out. May need a slide hammer to break them free.

Depending on how the new axles come equipped, you may or may not have to press your axle bearings off to re-use your bearing reatiners and brake bracket. You can buy the axles from Strange with all the parts already on and new bearings pressed on and ready to go if you don't have a large press.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When Dylan called me to tell me of his situation, I was NOT happy. We worked all night to get that rear into the Hawk. I was also shocked when he told me the Strange rep told him about how easily the axles could bend. That left me VERY uneasy when I heard that. I mean, if these axles bend so easily, WHY ARE THEY BEING SOLD? I do agree with FBJ about the curb impacts though. I cannot remember how that rear is set up. It was also nighttime, so I couldn't really get a detailed view of the axles as the rear came without rotors.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

FBJ thanks for the tips. i didn't notice any aluminum block on the housing ends and it certainly seems to be 100% stock width back there so i'm assuming the ford housing ends are what i'll be dealing with. Good to know i won't have to open up the center to take care of this. I'll prob go with a fully set up set of axles with the bearings in place so its a quick easy swap and i won't worry that there was damage on the old bearings. Hopefully in a week i'll have the car back on the road smoother than ever.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thank you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

....... it's been more than a week.......

I picked the car up this morning from a local shop that specializes in drag race cars. Rather than take the rear out and disassemble and have him put it on the jig to check the housing I took a gamble and just bought new alloy axles from strange with bearings and seals. He said the bolts on the housing end were a PITA and he needed to bend a 7/16s wrench to get better access to em. (gave me the wrench too!!!) After talking about the job he tried convincing me to install a cage and start running with the big boys..... gotta say.... tempting.... verrrrrry tempting.

He said everything came out and went in smooth so he's confident the housing is fine. Got the car out on the road up to about 75mph and aside from the rhythmic vibes of the engine and it's steel mounts the car felt super smooth. No shaking in the mirror no massage on my backside. He said he also gave a little silicone coat outside the seals to prevent any leaks. Now alls i gotta do is adjust the parking brake, got me a vertical handle at the moment, and adjust the roto joints on my LCA's because they are sounding a bit clunky.

I've gotta tip my hat to Strange. They are a pleasure to deal with and shipping was crazy fast. All the right parts arrived in tip top condition in a nice crisp box and the price wasn't too bad for the package. Also loved the service at the shop, not sure if i can name names, if you're in NY and interested PM me and i'd be glad to share. I've never dealt with these guys before but I'm 100% positive I'll go back for any problems I have with aftermarket parts from now on.

Next up is me buying a coolant xover tube, GM header gaskets and some of those special long harness vette O2 sensors... hmmm... and some stainless cats. Take all that, cept the xover tube, to Mufflex to have them fab me a Y-pipe on the car and finally get them headers installed. I might try tackling the LS6 intake this weekend. WOOOOO!!!!!

Glad to hear it all worked out. Strange is top notch. I'm waiting on another set of axles from them as we speak.

Thread Information