Thread: Stock rear end?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Stock rear end?

I was getting my oil changed at a new shop today and as my car is for sale, on of the guys was asking questions about the car then he goes and checks it out while they're working on it and comes back and asks if i replaced the rear end because it dosn't have the stock one in it, tells me i don't have the posi rear. well this is news to me, i know the first owner put the car in a gaurd rail and replaced body panels but i didn't know about and mechanical replacements. So can someone tell me if this is the right rear end to be in a '01 Z?

Thanks for the help

Pewter
    2000 Camaro ss

that looks stock to me, how does the mechanic know that you dont have a posi? Also could your posi unit have gone out?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by kev70ss View Post
    that looks stock to me, how does the mechanic know that you dont have a posi? Also could your posi unit have gone out?
    as far as i knew i did have posi, i've never had the car only spin one tire, every burnout i've ever done in the car has lit both tires off, thats why i was confused when he said it, oh and i'm not sure if he was even a mechanic i think he just changes oil so take that for what its worth...

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I like to check with one wheel on the road and another on the shoulder in the sandy part. That way one wheel has good traction and the other doesn't have so good traction.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    I like to check with one wheel on the road and another on the shoulder in the sandy part. That way one wheel has good traction and the other doesn't have so good traction.
    as a test to see if its working? or to see if it has posi?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

If it's a Torsen posi, and the mechanic had it on a lift and just rotated the wheels, it may only spin one side, or the two may spin in opposite directions like an open rear. It's not like a clutch-style posi that most mechanics are used to. The Torsen requires torque from the driveshaft in order to lock in the drive for both axles.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by Fran D View Post
    If it's a Torsen posi, and the mechanic had it on a lift and just rotated the wheels, it may only spin one side, or the two may spin in opposite directions like an open rear. It's not like a clutch-style posi that most mechanics are used to. The Torsen requires torque from the driveshaft in order to lock in the drive for both axles.
    is that what comes stock in these cars?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    is that what comes stock in these cars?
    Some, the other is an Auburn, which is a standard clutch-type posi. I think the Torsen is standard and the Auburn was a special order. At least, that's the way it was for my '00 SS (which is a Torsen).

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Some, the other is an Auburn, which is a standard clutch-type posi. I think the Torsen is standard and the Auburn was a special order. At least, that's the way it was for my '00 SS (which is a Torsen).
    is there any way to tell just by looking at it like is the case shaped different or somthing? i don't think i ever saw him touch the car the whole time he was looking at it so i think the guy was just going off what he saw

red
    2002 ss camaro

is there any way to tell just by looking at it like is the case shaped different or somthing? i don't think i ever saw him touch the car the whole time he was looking at it so i think the guy was just going off what he saw
    it sound to me like he has no idea what in the he## he is talking about looks like stock 10 bolt and if it burns both tires posi is fine. talking to people about cars I find that 80 % of the people you find on the street have no idea what they're talking about. "ya my friend has one of those and it has 600 hp stock and it will do 6's in the quarter. It's the baddest thing I've ever seen"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Nope, it's only the carrier that's different, so you need to take the diff cover off to tell.

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Thumbs up

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Nope, it's only the carrier that's different, so you need to take the diff cover off to tell.
    allright thats what i needed to know, thanks guys

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    it sound to me like he has no idea what in the he## he is talking about looks like stock 10 bolt and if it burns both tires posi is fine. talking to people about cars I find that 80 % of the people you find on the street have no idea what they're talking about. "ya my friend has one of those and it has 600 hp stock and it will do 6's in the quarter. It's the baddest thing I've ever seen"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yeah when him and the guy that was actually changing my oil were talking i could hear bits and peices of what they were saying, the best line i heard was "thats the LT1 right, 330hp stock just like in the vettes"

Black
    Domestic Supra

Looks like a stock one to me, though you do need an alignment. You have inner toe wear on both fronts....

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by CptMidway View Post
    Looks like a stock one to me, though you do need an alignment. You have inner toe wear on both fronts....
    Yep, definitely a stock 10.....

So how's come you're getting rid of your maro?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Yep, definitely a stock 10.....

So how's come you're getting rid of your maro?
    can't afford two cars any more with going to school, looking to get a real ss or ws6 hopefully

Thread Information