Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Stock Backing Plates onto a Moser 9"

I just bought a used Moser 9" and it has LTx backing plates on it. I first thought about buying some LTx calipers, but after sleeping on it, I've decided to keep my LSx brakes. I have a few questions:

1. Will my stock backing plates fit on my 9"?

2. How would I go about doing the swap? Pull the axles? How do I do that on both a stock rear and a 9"?

3. Anything else I'm missing?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I just bought a used Moser 9" and it has LTx backing plates on it. I first thought about buying some LTx calipers, but after sleeping on it, I've decided to keep my LSx brakes. I have a few questions:

1. Will my stock backing plates fit on my 9"?

2. How would I go about doing the swap? Pull the axles? How do I do that on both a stock rear and a 9"?

3. Anything else I'm missing?
    I just did this last week, go to the sticky "how to install a 12 bolt" and it will tell you. I believe there is an 8 mm bolt in the differential you have to remove then push/twist both axles in towards the diff and you will hear the c clips fall out. Then just pull the axles out and unbolt the backing plates. The guy I bought my 9" off says the backing plates need to be pressed onto the 9" but Im not 100% sure if they do when I find out within a couple days Ill let you know

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Cool

Yes your stock LS backing plates will work. You will have to get the Bearings pressed off and then back on again on your axles to do it. All the stock parts work on the Moser 9" except the sway bar mount, and using 2 3" muffler clamps works real well to hold it into place. You will also need some heavy duty zip ties to hold up the brake lines.

there are 4 bolts holding your axle in (near the outboard of the axle shaft) 9" fords do not have c -clips holding in the axles at the differential.

look at my f-quick page and there is a pic of my rearend taken when it was on a lift.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 02-09-2009 at 07:55 AM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Yes your stock LS backing plates will work. You will have to get the Bearings pressed off and then back on again on your axles to do it. All the stock parts work on the Moser 9" except the sway bar mount, and using 2 3" muffler clamps works real well to hold it into place. You will also need some heavy duty zip ties to hold up the brake lines.

there are 4 bolts holding your axle in (near the outboard of the axle shaft) 9" fords do not have c -clips holding in the axles at the differential.

look at my f-quick page and there is a pic of my rearend taken when it was on a lift.
    How do you get the bearings out and then pressed back in?

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    How do you get the bearings out and then pressed back in?
    You'll have to find someone with a press. Press them off, install backing plate and press bearing back on. Easy process that shouldn't cost much. Any decent shop should have one.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

So I don't need any parts?

What I'm getting at is this...can I take the rear out of my car (in my garage), take both rears to my local shop, have them swap the backing plates/press the bearings, go home and install the 9"?

What I'm getting at is this...can I take the rear out of my car (in my garage), take both rears to my local shop, have them swap the backing plates/press the bearings, go home and install the 9"?
    Yep, but it would be easier to just pull the axles out yourself, and take the backing plates with you from your old rearend.

Much easier to hall that around rather than 2 complete rearends.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Yessir I just took my 10 bolt out in my garage without any air tools. Its not bad at all and take out the axles while your in there its very simple, one bolt in the diff and they come out
    Last edited by One_Bad_TA; 02-09-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Thread Information