Bright Red
    1999 Camaro Z28

SPEC Products: Flywheel - Clutch - Pressure Plate etc

SPEC market all the following clutch related products for a '99 Camaro on their website but are they all SPEC parts?

Stage 3 Clutch kit with Aluminum Pressure Plate Option
    Aluminum Flywheel
    Adjustable Master Cylinder
    Slave Cylinder

I'm interested to know if anyone runs the Aluminum Pressure Plate Option on any type of clutch and what experience/comments they might have on it's performance.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the Stage 3+ and have been running it 2 years with zero issues. Upgraded to a Procharger set-up this year and it held with no problem pushing 500rwhp. I know the 3+ is a bit more aggressive than the 3 though.

I think most people here, including myself, run a steel flywheel and will probably recommend you go with a steel flywheel.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Although not in my car yet, I'll be running a Spec stg. 2 with steel flywheel, tick master cylinder
    1989 IROC: 6.0 LQ4/T56, Torquer V2, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads, FAST 78mm TB, SPEC stg. 2, Stainless Works LT's, e-cutout, Magnaflow, Moser 12blt w/4.11's, BMR subframe connectors, strut tower brace, UMI lca's, panhard, torque arm

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I wouldn't put a SPEC clutch in my car if it were free but that's just my opinion.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

SPECs are good clutches if you do it right. Meaning brand new flywheel, not turned, you measure the clutch gap and use the correct shim and use new hydraulics. You also need to balance the pressure plate and flywheel together if you're not using one of their complete setups. I had a SPEC stage 2 and it held up great and never missed a beat spraying to 515hp and 626ft/tq.

A lot people have issues with SPEC clutches because they're trying to buy the cheapest clutch and cut corners.

I would call SPEC and ask about the over all weight of there pressure plate and flywheel setup. Sometimes an aluminum flywheel will be benefitial to setup that is running a larger and heavier pressure plate to offset the weight gain there. For example I went with a Monster clutch setup and I picked the 18lb billet flywheel. This is 10lbs lighter than the stock flywheel but the pressure plate is an inch larger over stock and heavier. I only saved 3lbs over an LS6 clutch. It's not much of a difference.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I cant weigh in on the aluminum pressure plate option, but, I will give you this. Steel flywheels are meant to be expendable on these cars. As such they are usually pretty cheap. In addition I have been running a SPEC 3+ clutch now for a good 30,000 miles and love it. It was a bit noisy off the bat for maybe the first 500 or so miles when you would first engage it, but after that, outstanding, best clutch Ive ever used. And I am running it on the stock master and upgraded factory slave.
    Last edited by UH60Driver; 03-16-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by UH60Driver View Post
    I cant weigh in on the aluminum pressure plate option, but, I will give you this. Steel flywheels are meant to be expendable on these cars. As such they are usually pretty cheap. In addition I have been running a SPEC 3+ clutch now for a good 30,000 miles and love it. It was a bit noisy off the bat for maybe the first 500 or so miles when you would first engage it, but after that, outstanding, best clutch Ive ever used. And I am running it on the stock master and upgraded factory slave.
    This is pretty much the exact experience I've had with my Spec Stage 3+. First 500 or so miles I had a little chatter, but for the last 10K miles or so it's been flawless. It is still very grabby and never slips.

Thread Information