Shift kit or tune?

Just a quick question for future reference, which is the better option for improving the shifts on an A4, installing a shift kit or having a tune?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Much more can be gained by a tune than just improving shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Much more can be gained by a tune than just improving shifts.
    I was thinking about what could be done to an A4 in addition to a tune, but then it crossed my mind that shift kits are still available, which made me wonder if they are still the way to go or has a tune superseded them?

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SS Camaro UK View Post
    I was thinking about what could be done to an A4 in addition to a tune, but then it crossed my mind that shift kits are still available, which made me wonder if they are still the way to go or has a tune superseded them?
    I would say the tune is first by a mile. No need for faster, stronger shifts if you can't flex your muscles. I, personally, then would go for a rear pinion gear change with possibly a stall converter especially if a cam change is in your future. You know, a good tune can incorporate some of your shifting concerns. Just IMO
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Be careful you don't double whammy things -- if you have a tune that modifies transmission line pressures, and then add an aftermarket or modifed valve body on top of that, you can create transmission issues. Need to reset the line pressures in the tune to stock when the valve body is installed. At least that is my understanding.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can get a pretty decent shifting car with tuning not too mention the gain in performance from a tune. I would do a tune and have them up the line pressure, remove torque management, and speed up the shifts. It'll feel pretty much the same as a shift kit but like Jeff says....you don't want to do both a tranny tune and a shift kit. One or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Be careful you don't double whammy things -- if you have a tune that modifies transmission line pressures, and then add an aftermarket or modifed valve body on top of that, you can create transmission issues. Need to reset the line pressures in the tune to stock when the valve body is installed. At least that is my understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you can get a pretty decent shifting car with tuning not too mention the gain in performance from a tune. I would do a tune and have them up the line pressure, remove torque management, and speed up the shifts. It'll feel pretty much the same as a shift kit but like Jeff says....you don't want to do both a tranny tune and a shift kit. One or the other.
    I think a tune is all I need, just to get quick shifts without the overlap.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by SS Camaro UK View Post
    I think a tune is all I need, just to get quick shifts without the overlap.
    Tune 100%.

My brother and I have played with tuning for many years now. He's also tuned some 5th gen Camaro's as there is so much torque management, the power from the engine is severely robbed by this. Even without a transmission tune, this makes a huge difference. Do both, and you'll think you just spent $3000 in upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by svt_eater View Post
    Tune 100%.

My brother and I have played with tuning for many years now. He's also tuned some 5th gen Camaro's as there is so much torque management, the power from the engine is severely robbed by this. Even without a transmission tune, this makes a huge difference. Do both, and you'll think you just spent $3000 in upgrades.
    Sounds good. Are there any downsides to this? For example, I'm still running with the 10-bolt, providing I avoid hard launches etc. it won't shorten its life or the transmission's life will it?

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

It simply delivers all the torque that the engine creates instead of pulling torque, so it is essentiallly still stock. My brother has the auto and his diff is taking a harsh tune fine. I have the manual, so it gets what it gets. If you're interested in discussing it, let me know and I'll see if I can get you and my brother talking. He knows the tuning way more than I, and has been tuning V6's and V8's(Grand Am, Grand Prix, TA/Camaro) from 2000 to the latest models for years.

Quote Originally Posted by svt_eater View Post
    It simply delivers all the torque that the engine creates instead of pulling torque, so it is essentiallly still stock. My brother has the auto and his diff is taking a harsh tune fine. I have the manual, so it gets what it gets. If you're interested in discussing it, let me know and I'll see if I can get you and my brother talking. He knows the tuning way more than I, and has been tuning V6's and V8's(Grand Am, Grand Prix, TA/Camaro) from 2000 to the latest models for years.
    That would certainly make it more fun to drive.

Any knowledge and experience your brother can pass on will be appreciated.

Out of curiosity, is it harmful on a stock auto transmission to manually move up and down through the gears?

Thread Information