Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Servicing the rear end

Ok, I'm sure every one is ready for the punch line, lol...

I was reading the trusty Haynes manual. I have a question about changing the oil in the rear differential.

It said to apply RTV to the cover flange before putting the new gasket on. I have never done this, so this is my guess.

I should squirt a small amount of RTV on the diff cover in between each hole, and then place the new gasket on the RTV with gentle pressure to get a nice even coated surface?

Or

Should I squirt the rear end with RTV?

Ok, so you won't see me on last comic standing, but I'm still giggling.

To me it makes more sense to have the RTV on the rear end, then the gasket, and then the cover.

I have 102k miles. I have no idea if any one has changed the oil in the rear diff. What oil would you guys recommend and how much should it take?

thanks

kool-aide

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

2-3 quarts of 75W90 with a posi additive. Mobil 1 is good, would require a posi additive, Royal Purple is good as well and already has a posi additive mixed in with it.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Yes, put silicone on both sides to insure a good seal. Then go see the doc and he'll check your rearend for ya.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Yes, put silicone on both sides to ensure a good seal.
    Huh, ok, so run a bead of RTV on the rear end and the cover with a gasket in the middle.

Seems like over kill but I'm good with that.

How would you gage the bead size or amount of RTV you would apply?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    2-3 quarts of 75W90 with a posi additive. Mobil 1 is good, would require a posi additive, Royal Purple is good as well and already has a posi additive mixed in with it.
    Ok, thanks, that sounds pretty good. The book said until you reach the bottom of the fill plug hole. At least this gives me an idea of how much to buy.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

is a Felpro gasket from the local parts store good? I have searched four places including a sponsor and they all carry the same brand, and only, gasket.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I haven't changed the oil in my Formula's diff yet, but last time I changed it on my Jeep I just used the RTV and no gasket. It seals fine if you let it sit a bit to get tacky, and don't overtourqe the bolts so it all squishes out. And don't forget to clean the gasket mating surfaces well.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I haven't changed the oil in my Formula's diff yet, but last time I changed it on my Jeep I just used the RTV and no gasket. It seals fine if you let it sit a bit to get tacky, and don't overtourqe the bolts so it all squishes out. And don't forget to clean the gasket mating surfaces well.
    yeah, the book made it clear you need to scrap all the old junk off both surfaces.

Well I would torque the bolts to the specs, so I hope that wouldn't cause all the stuff to squirt out.

The gasket is only $4. I'm not made of money, but I would rather have a good seal. I've never used RTV on anything let alone a part that requires a solid seal.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I just use a felpro gasket and no leaks.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Does anyone make a rubber rear end gasket for the 7.5"?? I installed my Mac girdle with a felpro gasket, once with silicone (leaked) and then just dry, which was fine up until recently when I jacked the car up and noticed the bottom of the differential was wet with gear oil.

I think a rubber one would seal much better, plus you would be able to use it more than once when changing the fluid.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    I just use a felpro gasket and no leaks.
    what was your install process?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Does anyone make a rubber rear end gasket for the 7.5"?? I installed my Mac girdle with a felpro gasket, once with silicone (leaked) and then just dry, which was fine up until recently when I jacked the car up and noticed the bottom of the differential was wet with gear oil.

I think a rubber one would seal much better, plus you would be able to use it more than once when changing the fluid.
    darn good question. I figured if the four places I checked didn't have one then it would be hard to find. Maybe someone else knows.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I just make sure both the diff. and cover are clean. There are 4 holes on the gasket that are slightly undersized to hold four bolts so the cover and gasket stay lined up as you put the cover back on. I snug the bolts and then torque them down with a torque wrench in a criss cross fashion. I also have a T/A girdle with a drain plug so I don't take the cover off anymore. My rear diff. oil gets changed every spring after the car comes out of storage so it usually only has about 6000 miles on the oil.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    I just make sure both the diff. and cover are clean. There are 4 holes on the gasket that are slightly undersized to hold four bolts so the cover and gasket stay lined up as you put the cover back on. I snug the bolts and then torque them down with a torque wrench in a criss cross fashion. I also have a T/A girdle with a drain plug so I don't take the cover off anymore. My rear diff. oil gets changed every spring after the car comes out of storage so it usually only has about 6000 miles on the oil.
    lucky you. That fill plug on the diff is in a real tough spot. I can see why they recommend a siphon or pump.

Well I can honestly say I don't like RTV. I put a bead on the cover and the diff in the center and around the bolt holes. I let it set for close to an hour at hand tight like the package said. As I started with the torque wrench it would squish and pop and then the gasket tore. Thankfully it looks like it was around just one hole and it was up in the middle. The hole with the metal thing that hooks around it.

I was pissed because I was no where near the torque for that bolt when it started tearing and sliding out of the side. I think next time I am only going to put RTV on the diff side. Maybe the cover side I will keep clean and maybe the surface friction will keep it from tearing.

Now I am checking every parking spot to see if I leak, lol...

My biggest concern is RTV in the diff. I didn't use a lot but near the bolt holes it squished out a little. I guess because it is real close to the edge. Around the bolt hole i had to use less, not much room. The one thing i did notice was it doesn't ooze. And I didn't drive it for the first couple of hours. Maybe it is ok, and there is no RTV floating in my diff, i hope.

thanks for the tips. maybe next year or sometime I will look into saving money for a cover with a drain and fill plug.

Thread Information