Thread: s60

Scabbedwings616 scabbedwings616's Avatar

black
    2001 corvette

s60

just wanted to know a few things about strange. any real big horror stories with the s60. what is needed for them when i do order it? how long does it take to put in and how do you prevent it from howling. after install what items need to be purchased so the engine takes care of the new gears. which one is recomended....thanks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You may need to send Strange your backing plates. I have a Strange 12 bolt and had to send them mine. You can buy it with new ones but it's at least $100 more I believe. Mine never howled till I took it to the drag strip. Howles like a banshee now.

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

a good dealer will ask you all the necessary things when you are inquiring. gear ratio, diff type, stock width, stud type, abs/tcs(3 or 4 ch), etc. the S60 shouldn't have any issues with noise, as long as the gear manufacturer has done a good job on the cut. the S60 requires a shorter driveshaft. you can order one from Strange at the time of purchase, that will be a direct fit and also have 1350 series joints on both ends. that is the way to go, considering the stock driveshaft will be the weakest link.
    Everything needed for install comes with the rearend. u joint u-bolts, longer end links for the sway bar, and sway bar mounts are already welded to the axle tube, unlike others that use a muffler clamp you have to supply.
    you can send in your own backing plates and caliper mounts, and they will install them at no charge. you can also buy them new so if your car is currently running there isn't any downtime. third option is to have Strange not install the axles. then when you get the rearend, you will have to swap out the brake components, and have the axle bearings pressed on. they have to go on before the axle bearing is pressed on, as it becomes the axle retainer. the S60 is truely a bolt in setup.

these are the best rearends for the f-body application, IMO. 9" fords have driveshaft angle issues and some have floor clearance problems.
    Last edited by 99RedRagtop; 03-12-2007 at 08:30 AM.

black
    2001 corvette

what about the computer that is set up for stock, how do i fix it so the car takes advantage of the new gears and the new set up. what brand and where do i get it from

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

you can do something as simple as purchasing a power programmer and having the ability to do the tuning yourself, or have a local dyno shop recalibrate the speedo, and/or do a custom tune while there. money well spent at a dyno shop. with the gear change and a good tune you can pick up a respecable amount of power, also. the handheld type programmers are available through mail orders, and i'm sure some of the vendors here have a descent deal. you will spend anywhere from 250-500 doing this.

black
    2001 corvette

how much is a dyno, and do you know of any in mass.

Thread Information