zrater

ring and pinion leak and noise

how much to replace ring and pinion and bearings. thanks 2002 z28 a/4

blake92663
    I just found out my M6 TA with about 80,000 miles has a pinion seal leak. It's not dripping on the ground, but is coating the underside of the car. The dealership was quoting me about $300. $100 for the differential fluid, $150 for labor, and $25-$50 for the seals. I'm gonna get some other estimates.

Does anybody know what a reputable dealer should charge for this fix?

Also, should anything else be replaced at the same time (bearings?) to save me paying for more diff fluid and labor later?

Are pinion leaks pretty common, and is this going to be a recurring problem?

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

that all seems fairly high to me. the labor is fairly reasonable, since dealers charge about $80/hr but $100 for the fluid is ridiculous. You can get synthetic rear diff fluid and a bottle of posi-lock for about a third of that. I beleive the seal is about $20. If you're really interested in stuff staying under warranty, take it to the dealer, but otherwise i would seek other places. Any competent full repair shop or transmission shop should be able to handle it.

FYI: I did mine at work in about an hour, and I had access to a lift and all the tools. You basically just drop the torque arm and driveshaft, pop the seal out and replace. Voila.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by blake92663
    Does anybody know what a reputable dealer should charge for this fix?

Also, should anything else be replaced at the same time (bearings?) to save me paying for more diff fluid and labor later?

Are pinion leaks pretty common, and is this going to be a recurring problem?
    The labor on it should charge around an hour, so figure their hourly rate + some $$ for parts. $100 for differential fluid is absurd, go to AutoZone and get your own for less than $5.

When replacing the pinion seal there isn't much else to replace at the same time...for if you were to replace bearings on the pinion, that would mean the whole rear end would have to come apart (the pinion comes out from the rear). Just worry about the pinion seal for now as long as you don't have any funny noises coming from the rear.

You would be hard pressed to find an f-body who's pinon seal DOESN'T leak. Mine included, it seeps all over the damn place. It's not a big issue just keep the rear full of fluid. I'll replace mine when I change out the gears.

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

ya mine leaks too. My torque arm mount was wore out throwing differential around--i replace the mount with a eurothane one and topped of differential thinking it was sloshing out because of the extra movement caused by the wore out mount but when i was installing my new 20's yesterday i noticed the pumpkin all moist with grease--not dripping just half covered in grease---i'll probably top it off again before i get crazy with the juice later in the month

reed98
    i do alot of work on the side . the most i'd charge is 20 for seal 50 for labor and about 30 for fluid. but i'm in ga,don't know if that helps.

Thread Information