Black
    1999 Trans Am

Replacing rear end

My rear end seems to be going down the drain fairly quick. Lots of slop in the gears and it clunks every time I get on or off the gas. Right now I just want to replace it with a stock rear end.

I found a complete rear end from a 1997 Trans Am for $180. Is this an ok deal? And everything will work with my 1999 T/A, right?

The driveshaft on the 97 car was steel. Does this mean it has the 3.23 gears??? Will this be alright for my six speed car? Would I be able to swap the 3.42s or whatever they are from my rear end to the one from the 97?

Black
    1998 Trans am

The 97 LT1 rearend is the same physical dimensions as your 99, but there are some differences. The 97 brakes are smaller, and the reluctor ring for the abs is on the hubs on the 97, but it is on the ring gear inside the differential housing on your 99, also the abs plug on the differential of your 99 is a three wire and the 97 has a four wire plug because each rear wheel has a reluctor ring. These are the differences I can think of off the top of my head. I went through the same thing this spring. Good luck.
    98 Trans Am, A4, 3.73, 3200 Vigilante, LCA's, reloc brackets, sfc's, panhard bar, adjustable torque arm, XS long tube headers, ORY, SLP CNC ported heads and all the free mods tuned with EFILive.
    Best 1/4 et 12.53
    Best 1/4 mph 107.78
    Best 60' 1.71

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Were you able to make yours work? Is the wiring the only thing that would need to be changed.

I can swap the brakes out with no problmes right?

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

hope it works for you. sounds like a hell of a deal to me

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Were you able to make yours work? Is the wiring the only thing that would need to be changed.

Anybody?

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Why not just rebuild your rear. Putting a rear out of a 10 year old LT1 car in it is not going to be much of a fix as it is probably pretty worn as well. I have never heard a very quiet 10 year old 10 bolt.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

What would it take? I don't really understand exactly what it is thats worn. I'm really just looking for a cheap, somewhat temporary fix until I can come across a good deal on a 9" or something.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

My rear end seems to be going down the drain fairly quick. Lots of slop in the gears and it clunks every time I get on or off the gas. Right now I just want to replace it with a stock rear end.

I found a complete rear end from a 1997 Trans Am for $180. Is this an ok deal? And everything will work with my 1999 T/A, right?

The driveshaft on the 97 car was steel. Does this mean it has the 3.23 gears??? Will this be alright for my six speed car? Would I be able to swap the 3.42s or whatever they are from my rear end to the one from the 97?
    Mine does that as well, But I paid to have mine clunk, I have a Detroit Locker LOL.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

What would it take? I don't really understand exactly what it is thats worn. I'm really just looking for a cheap, somewhat temporary fix until I can come across a good deal on a 9" or something.
    Unless you can rebuild the rear yourself it's not worth it. You'd be close to halfway to a new 9in by the time you are done. I wouldn't waste my 180 for the other rear either. It's 10 yrs old and may be no better then yours. Personally i'd just baby what you have and save for a 9in or 12 bolt.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Unless you can rebuild the rear yourself it's not worth it. You'd be close to halfway to a new 9in by the time you are done. I wouldn't waste my 180 for the other rear either. It's 10 yrs old and may be no better then yours. Personally i'd just baby what you have and save for a 9in or 12 bolt.
    I agree, 10 bolts are pyles of shit

Black
    1998 Trans am

\

No, I never made it work, I decided it was too much messing around so I bought gears for my 2 series carrier and put them in. The brakes should be no problem to swap. I dont know if it will throw a code if the abs wiring is not correct, but if it does it could be tuned out. I think I would try the lt1 rear end and see what happens. The main reason I didnt use do it in mine was gear ratio. it was 3.42 and I really wanted 3.73, so I just resold the lt1 rear end.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I guess I'll try it. Like I said, I'm sort of just looking for a temporary fix.

I'm hoping that the LT1 rear end just has a separate ground for each ABS ring and that is why there is 4 wires. We'll see.

Thread Information