Black
    2002 Firehawk

removing axles on an 02 Trans AM

Ok guys, the shop manual is terrible. I am changing my rear braking system and need to remove the parking brake assembly. In order to do that, I apparently have to remove the axels. I have the diff cover off and know that I have to remove the "C" clips. What's the trick to it. The "C" clips are covered by part of the gear assembly.

Can you guide me as to how to get those "C" clips off to slide the axles out?

I don't have to dissasemble the whole rear end do I?? Seems like it should be easy.

THanks guys.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    2002 Firehawk

thanks mrr23, that's very helpful. I am having a problem though. I cannot push the axles in far enough on either side to get the "c" clips out. The bolts holding on the parking brake mechanism on the wheel hubs stop me from being able to move the axles any further. I can't get those bolts out until I get the axle out. I'm sort of stuck. Any thoughts? If I turn the drive shaft or axle, do you think I will make more room?? Or something??

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

so u got the two bolts off each of the cclips, pressed the axles in and twisted and pulled? they should come right out provided nothing is still connected to the backing plates.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

I figured it out. There is a device attached to the back of the parking brake unit that stops the axle from going in far enough to free the "C" clip. Once I removed it (it's some kind of magnetic pick up device) it worked as stated.

Now, another question, what is the gear that's just behind the hub on the axle? Mine is an 02. I wonder if it has to do with either the traction control or the ABS? It's causing me issues installing my new Willwood rear brake kit.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

that would be the reluctor ring for your abs.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

ok, I got it all out and am in the process of installing the new wilwood set up. I have a new problem. The wilwood parking brake system cannot accomodate the reluctor ring. It must come off. The ring hits up against a tensioner spring and tensioner knob on the wilwood kit. The ring either needs to be smaller or removed. Also, there's no hole for the sensor.

I have a feeling that by disconnecting this sensor at each rear hub, I will not only lose TCS but ABS on all 4 wheels as well. Can anyone provide insight here??

Is there anyway to set up TCS somewhere else on a factory rear end?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

on my 99 and 00 car, the ABS ring is inside the rear pumpkin area.the reluctor ring is part of the carrier. my guess, is the wilwood setup was for a three channel ABS, not a four channel like yours.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

maybe so, any suggestions??

Thread Information