Red
    2001 Trash Can

Rebuild or Buy new???

My 10 bolt is taking a crap and I'm wondering if it's worth it to rebuild my stock rear or just get a new one. I'm planning on doing bolt ons and a cam, so I'm pretty sure I'll need something more beefy, and I want to go with a 9 inch. I found a 9" housing near me for $200, so would it be worth it to have it shortened and all the brackets wleded on, and then rebuild the center section, or just go buy a brand new one from Moser, Currie, Strange, Motive...etc??? Money is kind of an issue, and I'd like to save money, but if it's gonna cost me in the long run then it isn't worth it. Thanks in advance!!!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

M6 tranny by the way

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I would be curious about this also, except I already have a 9" in my garage out of a 71 mustang.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Diffenately do a 9" with a 6 speed. As far as fabricating a old 9" to fit, You'll be better off buying a prefabed unit and new axles through moser. Its around $800-1000 and in the long run a lot cheaper, better looking and beefier. Then get your 3rd member rebuilt with quality parts. I would recomend 31 splined axles and a 31 spline detroit Tru trac. with at least 4.10 gears.

I went more aggressive and got 35 spline axles and a Detroit Locker but it is real noisy and clunks.

With rebuilding your 3rd member, you'll save around $400-500 from a complete assembly. You are looking around $2100 complete.

I paid $2550 includeing shipping for my 9" It is a Moser case and 35 spline axles, Strange Pro Nodular third member with Detroit Locker and Motive Performance 4.30 gears. Set up for a 4 channel with Exciter rings installed and drain plug.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 11-26-2007 at 10:35 AM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Diffenately do a 9" with a 6 speed. As far as fabricating a old 9" to fit, You'll be better off buying a prefabed unit and new axles through moser. Its around $800-1000 and in the long run a lot cheaper, better looking and beefier. Then get your 3rd member rebuilt with quality parts. I would recomend 31 splined axles and a 31 spline detroit Tru trac. with at least 4.10 gears.

I went more aggressive and got 35 spline axles and a Detroit Locker but it is real noisy and clunks.

With rebuilding your 3rd member, you'll save around $400-500 from a complete assembly. You are looking around $2100 complete.
    What would 4.10's do for me as opposed to 3.73's? My car is mostly a street car and I plan on running at the track maybe a few times a year. And do you recommend any place to have a 3rd member rebuilt?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

And I would like to keep my 4 channel ABS/ TCS reluctor rings as well...???

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    What would 4.10's do for me as opposed to 3.73's? My car is mostly a street car and I plan on running at the track maybe a few times a year. And do you recommend any place to have a 3rd member rebuilt?
    3.73's are a waste of money with a 6 speed. 4.10's are awesome on a street car. Your rpm's wont be effected that bad and your gas milage might go down 2 mpg. You can keep all your tcs and abs stuff just like I did. You can reuse your reluctor rings on your new axles or buy new ones once you buy the assembly.

As far as redoing your third member, shop around your local area speed shops, and let them know your intentions. Make sure you find a reputable shop. You might pay a little more but its worth it. Get a 1350 yoke (you will need a different u joint for your drive shaft).

Do not buy richmond gears they will whine worse than your ex-girlfriend. I would suggest Motive Performance. also like I said before, A Detroit tru-trac with 31 spline axles to match.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

3.73's are a waste of money with a 6 speed. 4.10's are awesome on a street car. Your rpm's wont be effected that bad and your gas milage might go down 2 mpg. You can keep all your tcs and abs stuff just like I did. You can reuse your reluctor rings on your new axles or buy new ones once you buy the assembly.

As far as redoing your third member, shop around your local area speed shops, and let them know your intentions. Make sure you find a reputable shop. You might pay a little more but its worth it. Get a 1350 yoke (you will need a different u joint for your drive shaft).

Do not buy richmond gears they will whine worse than your ex-girlfriend. I would suggest Motive Performance. also like I said before, A Detroit tru-trac with 31 spline axles to match.
    Thanks man! I have heard Richamand gears are loud as hell before lol. There's a rear shop like 2 miles from me, and I hear they are really good, but I've been there and the guy is a DICK!!! But supposedly they are the best around. Also, Harris Speed Works is like 30 min from me, so I think I'll check them out too. Thanks again!

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Sorry Pal ! It really doesn't make any difference what rear end you spend your hard earned money on, some of the more expensive ones might hold up a bit longer but you will "NEVER" be able to purchase a really strong rear end that won't have that dreaded howling & whine . As long as its a race only & not a DD it won't matter to "MOST" guys. But , if you like to cruise every once in a while , be expecting it to raise bloody hell of a noise on the street & highway. Your only other choice is to jump ship & buy a Mopar or Ford. Good fuckin luck !

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Sorry Pal ! It really doesn't make any difference what rear end you spend your hard earned money on, some of the more expensive ones might hold up a bit longer but you will "NEVER" be able to purchase a really strong rear end that won't have that dreaded howling & whine . As long as its a race only & not a DD it won't matter to "MOST" guys. But , if you like to cruise every once in a while , be expecting it to raise bloody hell of a noise on the street & highway. Your only other choice is to jump ship & buy a Mopar or Ford. Good fuckin luck !
    ? Dude you need to get laid!! My 9" is absolutely quiet and 2 times stronger than the piece of shit 10 bolt. I take my car to the track and run it on the street. No complaints here and with 95% of the other guys running a 9".

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

? Dude you need to get laid!! My 9" is absolutely quiet and 2 times stronger than the piece of shit 10 bolt. I take my car to the track and run it on the street. No complaints here and with 95% of the other guys running a 9".
    Yeah , Yeah , but does it make any noise ? I bet it does. You may be willin to put up with the noise on the street/highway but most of us would not if we could help it . Dude !!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Yeah , Yeah , but does it make any noise ? I bet it does. You may be willin to put up with the noise on the street/highway but most of us would not if we could help it . Dude !!
    Get some fuckin dynomat if you don't like road/ gear noise. Or don't drive your car. If Jays00ss has a damn locker and doesn't coplain about rear noise, then it can't be that bad! Those trutrac's and LS's are a hell of a lot quieter than a locker. No expert, but usually if you are having some kind of weird noise anywhere on your car, usually something is wrong. Like, if you take a shit, then don't wipe your ass, it's gonna get swampy!!! And I never complained about rear noise. My rear is takin a shit, so I wondered what my best option was.
    What's your beef with rear end noise? I believe the only drama is comin from you....DUDE!!!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Mopar and Ford have rears too . That means they will whine. And the 9" rear is a Ford rear. Mopar is a Dana 60. Maybe I'll get a Rockwell while I'm at it!!! Don't understand what all the fuss is about?

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Mopar and Ford have rears too . That means they will whine. And the 9" rear is a Ford rear. Mopar is a Dana 60. Maybe I'll get a Rockwell while I'm at it!!! Don't understand what all the fuss is about?
    Your age explains your choice of words .
    And your choice to put up with lower standards.
    Have a nice day !

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Your age explains your choice of words .
    And your choice to put up with lower standards.
    Have a nice day !
    Age has nothing to do with it haha. I hope you feel good about that dumbass sticky you made...that will never stick. Why did you even respond to this thread if you wanted to start shit and then not back up your claims. Age is not the factor here, it is your pure ignorance. And if you are so much older and more mature, how come you responded to my comment(s)? By the way, that was a rhetorical question. Just in case you couldn't tell because of my age.

Thread Information