Thread: Rear Swap

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Rear Swap

Wanna swap rear ends from a 2.73 rear to a 3.42 rear
    Is it gonna be necessary to get a tune right off the bat or could i live with the stock tune for a while?

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Your shift points and your speedo will both be off, so i'd plan on getting a tune very quickly.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

shift points will be well off but I have also been thinking about doing a 3.42 over my 3.23's insted of going all the way to 3.73's so let me know what you think and how you like it. I don't do any racing and plan on mine just being a street car with some road trips.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    shift points will be well off but I have also been thinking about doing a 3.42 over my 3.23's insted of going all the way to 3.73's so let me know what you think and how you like it. I don't do any racing and plan on mine just being a street car with some road trips.
    Would like to do 3.73, but tons of people are selling M6 rear ends and 3.42 is a big upgrade from 2.73. Anyways, dont think i'm gonna do it now on account of my car needs some paint work done.

If you got 3.23s i wouldn't go 3.42, i don't think you'd feel much of a difference. I was always told go at least two steps higher to make yourself happy. You wouldn't want to put time and money in your car to not be that excited about it.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

well I don't want to go to 3.73's. I don't need that much gear all I am tring to do is ballance my uses of the car which is street use. I don't go to the track at all I just play with moosestangs from light to light and take it on road trips because it weighs less than my truck and gets better gas milage.

whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Would like to do 3.73, but tons of people are selling M6 rear ends and 3.42 is a big upgrade from 2.73. Anyways, dont think i'm gonna do it now on account of my car needs some paint work done.

If you got 3.23s i wouldn't go 3.42, i don't think you'd feel much of a difference. I was always told go at least two steps higher to make yourself happy. You wouldn't want to put time and money in your car to not be that excited about it.
    thats definately true - if you got 3.23 dont go 3.42 you will NOT even notice a difference it would be a waste

whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

also just fyi - if you go 4.11's your car will instantly become race oriented it will not be great on the highway imho (at least for long trips) - i love and will always have 4.11 gears but there is a downside and its long roadtrips

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bossho View Post
    also just fyi - if you go 4.11's your car will instantly become race oriented it will not be great on the highway imho (at least for long trips) - i love and will always have 4.11 gears but there is a downside and its long roadtrips
    Highest i would go with an auto is 3.73 anyways. Planning on getting the gears swapped when i change the seals in the rear, it leaks a little. Not worth throwing money into the 10bolt, but i'm not hard on my car and i dont do any hard launches. Gotta get all the bearings changed as well.

Thread Information