View Poll Results: Does your f-body have gear whine?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

127 76.51%
  • NO

39 23.49%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Rear end whine, who's got it?

I just picked up a 2002 WS6 with the 6spd.... I'm noticing that the rear end has (what I would consider) a loud whine at about 50-70mph. Its loudest @ 60ish, but once you clear 70 its gone again. Bad news for me is that most of the speed limits around my house are 55mph... so the SOB whines really bad on pretty much every street I drive.

I did search a bit and I noticed that pinion seals commonly leak, but the whine I can't find much on. My pinion seal appears to be in fine condition.

Is gear whine common in these cars? Whats the best cure for this cuz its going to drive me crazy. Whats the best lubes to use?

If the gears have to be replaced to fix this... I'm taking it back to the dealer TOMORROW and those clowns are going to fix it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW, the damn car is FAST.

-Eagle
    Last edited by Eagle; 04-10-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    | '02 WS6 M6 | KOOKS/ORY | LC-1 | LOU'S SS | UMI SFCs | BMN LCAs & RELOC's | Hotchkis STB | HSW 150 shot | Lid | 42# Lucas | HPTuner Pro |

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Very low pitch. Its pretty common on these cars. The rear ends also have a tendancy to leak a little bit too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I have it. Had it since the day I drove it off the lot. Mine happens between 50 and 60. Once I clear 60 its gone.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

I have mine at the same speed, 60mph then it's gone 2mph either direction. I brouht it into the dealer back in '01 when I bought the car and they couldn't fix it. They actually just made it worse because after that the pinion seal has leaked, which it never did before that. I took it in 3 times at two different dealersips for new seals and it's always good for a little while, then it starts leaking again. Now my warranty is up, but it's pretty sad when those idiots can't even repair a simple seal correctly.

it could be the gears growling a bit when it changes from 2nd to 3rd?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

It's got nothing to do with going from 2nd to 3rd. You can be just cruising and it happens. It's a constant whine between 50 and 60 and even with just a tad bit of gas in between those speeds makes it even louder. Once past 60 though, it's gone.

I don't man, have it checked, or if you plan on doing some serious mods, get a 12 bolt anyways to support that tq

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    It's got nothing to do with going from 2nd to 3rd. You can be just cruising and it happens. It's a constant whine between 50 and 60 and even with just a tad bit of gas in between those speeds makes it even louder. Once past 60 though, it's gone.
    same thing happens to me. I've just learned to deal with it. I pay more attention to the sound of the engine and watching my revs anyway.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Yeah, mine happens during cruising as well. Romp on it and the exhaust noise easily covers the whine! Bad news is, I cruise at 55mph pretty much 80% of the time during my commute to and from the office...

pump up the music. that should cover loud ass exhaust too

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I don't man, have it checked, or if you plan on doing some serious mods, get a 12 bolt anyways to support that tq
    Thats a good point too... how often do the stock axles fail? About how much power / abuse can they hold? Last thing I need is the car spitting out an axle on me...

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Yeah, mine happens during cruising as well. Romp on it and the exhaust noise easily covers the whine! Bad news is, I cruise at 55mph pretty much 80% of the time during my commute to and from the office...
    yeah, the road I take several times a day thats right outside my house has a speed limit of 45 so im always going about 50ish, and its like this for a good 3 or 4 miles. and theres TONS of cops on this road so I hardly ever take it over 55.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

The whine just has to go tho... its gonna drive me nuts. Anyone out there heard of ppl changin out the R&P to fix the howl?

I had some that did, some that didnt... I had one that pinion bolt was loose and only whined on decel, but a little tightening fixed that. A properly setup rear should not whine, especially something factory!

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by gd1996 View Post
    I had some that did, some that didnt... I had one that pinion bolt was loose and only whined on decel, but a little tightening fixed that. A properly setup rear should not whine, especially something factory!
    Thats what I'm saying... yet looking at the poll it seems to be pretty common. I've had quite a few 10 bolt axles in my day... not sure why this 2002 should howl when all the others hadn't.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Formula

It's most likely a messed up wear pattern on the ring/pinion. Once that happens, you'll never get rid of it. If it's whining at a certain RPM range, it's telling me it's the wear pattern. Sorry man but you'd have to change the gears for that to go away.

I tried to set the record for jacked up 10 bolts. I've broken 6 of 'em. lol! I know every gear noise known to man. haha.

From stock to Richmond gears, Ive never heard a whine. BUT. When my rear sounded to 'howl,' I looked into it. A pinion bearing blew and I needed replacing. Fucked up my axle a little bit, so I put "axle savers" on.

nbm
    99 z28

mine was doing that and it ended up being the pinion bearing.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I didn't have a whine but a roar, it was axle bearings but luckily the race was ok. I plan to get a 12 bolt his year.

White
    2000 Trans Am

Not trying to scare you or anything, but my car was doing the same thing. Took it to the dealer(still under warranty) My pinion seal had spun around in the rear end causing that noise. They ended up having to replace the WHOLE rear end. I didn't care though the $2500 I paid for the extended warranty took care of that. It was like a $3200 job if I recall correctly.

Jimmy

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information