View Poll Results: Does your stock/unmolested 10-bolt whine?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not a peep

26 41.94%
  • Yes, just a little, kinda like yours the AC or exhaust hides it

18 29.03%
  • Yes, like a jet-liner taking off

13 20.97%
  • What's a 10-bolt? That thing I broke leaving the dealership when my car was new?

5 8.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Rear end whine? Common?

Well, a while back the pinion bearing went out in my rear end. I was backing out and it just spin. Anyways, had the rear end re-built and re-used my stock gears. It whines a little now, but not bad at all. The AC on "hi" about covers it. I have heard that stock 10-bolts whine anyways most of the time straight from the factory and mine is "within spec". Anyone else have a stock, un-molested rear end that whines?

White
    1999 SS

is it mostly upon accel., (i'm far from a driveline expert) i believe the backlash set loosely. I was told it is sometimes set this way for drag app's. someone correct me if I am wrong please.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

All F-body rear ends "WILL" sooner or later make noise . If the car is stock and has never been beat on their usually pretty quiet . As soon as you start using that sucker for what it was meant for , get ready for the whine/howling sound . And by the way , it don't matter what rear end you decide to go back with , OEM or Aftermarket , they all are gonna make noise first time you side step the clutch with a bonsai start M6 or an A4 . You want quiet , get a Ford 31 spline 10-bolt 8.8 rear end assy. Weld the tubes , install a girdle & stay with Dino lube with whale oil .

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

mine whines really bad in every gear. i can turn my radio up really loud and still here it. im thinking about doing a rebuild and trying to figure out what it is. it shouldnt make this much noise that it sounds like a siren BUT it only does it when you give the car gas.silent when im not on the gas. i really need some advice and would like to hear from everyone about this

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Ring gear & pinion in the destruction stage . Whatever you do don't buy a new OEM General Motors ring & pinion . They now cost $950.00 and are junk .

rapter34
    I was asking this a week ago and guess what bye bye 10 bolt the thing blew today so hello Moser 9"

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

rapter so yours was whining and it just broke do you know what exactly broke?

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Mine has whined since the rear end blew and the used gears were re-installed (it blew up in the driveway backing out, pinion bearing spun as I let the clutch out, the gears were unharmed). Pattern on them was double-checked and they look excellent.

rapter34
    Quote Originally Posted by krug07 View Post
    rapter so yours was whining and it just broke do you know what exactly broke?
    yeah the pumpkin grenaded all I can say is if your 10 bolt is whining its time to start saving up.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Mine didn't start making noise until I changed wheels. I have 18x10 on the back and that caused mine to start.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Drag Radials really brought the whine out in mine. Just about finished killing the stock LS6 clutch too. It's whining much more than it used to now... but its still not in the "bad" category.

I took it to the dealer right after I bought it last year and tried to get the gears swapped out on warranty and they said they wouldn't because it was still working and the noise I was complaining about was found in almost ALL f-body cars. So I was DENIED and will be putting in a 9" or 12 bolt next spring.

-Eagle

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Stock 3.42 ran quiet for 125k miles until carrier bearings went. Replaced all bearings and all was quiet for about 2k miles, then a little whine started at highway speeds. Then got louder and louder to where I thought it would explode (this was over a 2 month period).

Since I figured the stock gears were toast, I ordered the rear end kit from Thunder Racing with Strange 3.73 gears, aluminum cover w/girdle, deluxe install kit, Red Line gear oil, GM L-S additive, etc....

While the new 3.73 is quieter than immediately before, it had some whine from the beginning, with the loudest being in the 50-60 MPH range. Although I've read and I've been told it is within the 'normal' noise level, that 50-60 MPH range whine is too much for me. I'm going to change that synthetic oil and try some heavier dino.

Oh yeah, the stock 3.42 gears that I figured were toast, amazingly show below normal wear for 125k miles; looks like one that was swapped from another F-body at 40k.

Bright Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Unmolested 10 bolt in mine and whines like crazy on decelleration. I think it is the pinion bearing and it has a little whine all the time. Still beating on it and waiting for it to break and get something different.

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

I can hear it best in fourth gear with slightly acceleration

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

My Strange 12 bolt howls like mad. My stock 10 bolt howld' like mad too. Neither has ever broke. I don't worry about it.

rapter34
    there is a differance between whine and grind. whining is normal for any performance gears. when you are feeling clunking and rattling from the rear that is when it is about to go.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I didn't have a bit of whine with the stock 3.42's in my 10 bolt rear. I pulled those out when they had roughly 21K miles on them and swapped in Motive 3.90's. I do now have a bit of whine, however the exhaust is easily loud enough to drown it out.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    1999 Trans Am FIREHAWK

I just installed a MAC diff cover & it does`nt wine as much now .
    1999 T/A FIREHAWK - SLP Lid & Bellow,LT`s & Catted Y & Power-Flo Catback , MSD & NGK , UMI 3P SFC,ADJ PHB,STB,LCA`s & Relos , Eibach Pro Kit , Bilstine/SLP Shocks , MAC Diff Cover , BFG & OE Wheels C5DD 18x9.5/10.5 , HID 8000K Headlights - Dyno`d @ 319.07 HP & 327.23 Ft-lb ( Tuned by Champ Motors )

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

NO

NO

A proper set-up ring and pinion will NOT whine at all. There is a issue with the back lash or the pinion depth.

It doesn't matter what rear end they don't whine. Can you ever think of a time you rode or drove a car that was new or even newer with whiney rear end. . . . . . . . . . ? I can't.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Mine whines from about 55 MPH and up on deceleration.... or coast side. Nothing I can do about. Im sure as hell not going to rip it apart because I hear a "whine". It makes no grinding/ clinking noise's at all. The whine is annoying, yes, but it is tolerable.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Thread Information