Metallic Blue
    94 Z28 A4 T Tops 52K MINT

rear end noises?

I have a 94 Z28 A4. And recently it has started to make some weird nosies when turning. It does it worse in reverse turning left. I flushed out the rear end about a month ago and used Amsoil 75w90 syn severe gear oil/w slip lock additive. It's odd that it just started to make noise a month after the fluid change.
    This car I bought from orignal owner and has not been driven hard at all. It only 52K on it as well as being bone stock. Could it be that I am driving it alot more now? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Scott.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

you put in the GM slip additive right? I heard that's the only stuff that does the job. Also, check your torque arm bushings, and drive shaft U joints. Is the rear leaking and if so how much?

Post Newer SAE J306

Quote Originally Posted by My94ZZZ View Post
    I have a 94 Z28 A4. And recently it has started to make some weird nosies when turning. It does it worse in reverse turning left. I flushed out the rear end about a month ago and used Amsoil 75w90 syn severe gear oil/w slip lock additive. It's odd that it just started to make noise a month after the fluid change.
    This car I bought from orignal owner and has not been driven hard at all. It only 52K on it as well as being bone stock. Could it be that I am driving it alot more now? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Scott.
    As of June 2005 there have been some redefined classifications to the SAE J306 Automotive Gear Oil Specifications.

Under these new limits, it is permissible to use 75W-110 gear lube in the place of 75W-90 gear lube in order to attain the correct gear lube viscosity of at least 19.5 cSt @ 100C.

That’s probably not what you wanted to hear after spending hard earned coin on the 75W-90 lube, but the 110 lube will give you the oil viscosity GM originally required for your differential.

Hope this helps,

CompSyn

Post 75W-110 in place of 75W-90...

Below, an original personal message from My94ZZZ to CompSyn regarding differential noises.

Quote Originally Posted by My94ZZZ
    It makes sence about using the severe gear 75w110 inplace of 75w90. Because it only seems to make nosies after the rear end warms up.
    CompSyn

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

hey comp you got the write up on that info???

Post 2005 SAE J306 write ups...

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    hey comp you got the write up on that info???
    TransAm11973,

Initially I didn’t provide the links like a normally would because the best source I found where you don’t have to pay for the info, is through a company that makes oil additives. And of course you know that Amsoil does not recommend the use of oil additives with their motor oils. So it was a conflict of interest of sorts. But since you asked nicely, I’ll take you right to the sources…

Helpful write up on SAE J306

SAE J306 Abstract

Enjoy,

CompSyn

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

thanks man i was just curious...i am already a amsoil freek but thought i would read up. thanks again

Thread Information