Thread: rear end noise

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

rear end noise

ok..just started to notice this a about a month ago..this noise is only when i'm turning or starting out of first gear..sometimes in the low range of second and third...but there is a noise coming from my rear end that sounds like someone is hitting it with a hammer over and over...almost like the gears are somehow knocking against the inside of my diff...but only when i accelerate through turns, or when i apply throttle at the bottom of gears...any clue as to what this may be???

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

bah why diagnose... call moser asap!!! of course i don't know what rear you have right now.... and i'm just playin... bump so an expert may chime in

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Sounds like your carrier is about to take a dump on you my friend. We carefull and no hard launches. I had to change mine with a 7.5" Eaton Locker and added 3.73's. Its days are numbered, and that is very common in our weak ass 10bolts.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Yeah, I would say either the carrier is going or your gears are clashing together.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Fearls1 View Post
    Sounds like your carrier is about to take a dump on you my friend. We carefull and no hard launches. I had to change mine with a 7.5" Eaton Locker and added 3.73's. Its days are numbered, and that is very common in our weak ass 10bolts.
    how much did that run ya??

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I cracked my carrier in half and I was stock and barely ever launched it. I was one of the unlucky ones. But thats what it sounded like to me too. But when I accelerated you could feel the car "surging" or as if I the car was being pushed or pulled as I was accelerating. My bet would be carrier

Black

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    I cracked my carrier in half and I was stock and barely ever launched it. I was one of the unlucky ones. But thats what it sounded like to me too. But when I accelerated you could feel the car "surging" or as if I the car was being pushed or pulled as I was accelerating. My bet would be carrier
    i dont feel the surging you're talking about yet, but the knock is def. there...but in the higher rpm's the car is strong...anything above 3k in first and second breaks the back tires loose...do you think maybe that my extra HP is having an effect on my stock rear end??

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Brad(WS/Z0.6) View Post
    i dont feel the surging you're talking about yet, but the knock is def. there...but in the higher rpm's the car is strong...anything above 3k in first and second breaks the back tires loose...do you think maybe that my extra HP is having an effect on my stock rear end??
    I would say yes the 10 bolt seems to be a hit or miss. Some are running 10s with it others like me broke it on stock power but it seems usually once you start doing mods it will have more of a chance of breaking. I decided instead of spending $1000+ to rebuild my 10 bolt and still having chances of it breaking, i bought a new 9" for $1900. I thought it was a good deal

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

I think that the carrier cost like 250 used. And the gears where like 100. Totally worth it. Get the 3.73, you won't be sorry. I can hang with modded T/A's with just the gears!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

I ran my stock rear end with 445rwhp.I even switched to run 3:73 for 2 years (mostly stree

t).But to be truthful I am running the 9" Moser now!
    Last edited by mghawk57; 02-13-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Black

I think that the carrier cost like 250 used. And the gears where like 100. Totally worth it. Get the 3.73, you won't be sorry. I can hang with modded T/A's with just the gears!
    Quote Originally Posted by mghawk57 View Post
    I ran my stock rear end with 445rwhp.I even switched to run 3:73 for 2 years (mostly strret).But to be truthful I am running the 9" Moser now!
    ok cool...this sounds like a reasonable price and if you say its worth it then i'll have to try it out...i just hope that i can get them put in before mine goes out totally...lol

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

ok cool...this sounds like a reasonable price and if you say its worth it then i'll have to try it out...i just hope that i can get them put in before mine goes out totally...lol
    The axles are also very weak because they are only 28 spline and are more prone to breaking. I wouldnt trust anything used from a differential cause it was probably beat on. After getting new parts(differential, gears, axles, install kit and labor) you will probably looking $1000+ I would save for a 9" if I were you especially since you have some pretty strong mods already. Even if you put all that money in a 10 bolt it still will have a chance of something to go bad. I would save up to get something you know wont break. Just my .02

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Another option is just getting a complete used rear. If you don't get it setup correctly you will have whining in the rear.

Thread Information