Thread: Rear end leak

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Rear end leak

Traffic has been pretty bad to me lately. It seems like I'm always stopped. On the way home tonight this idiot wants to make the light and doesn't. So what else would you do? Just park your car in the middle of the intersection and wait until it turns green again of course. Well, that's what he did and when I finally got around him I spun the tires. I've babied this car since I purchased it a few months ago. When I get home I notice a small spot on the ground. The car leaked a bit of something. I looked under and it's got some sludge in the center of the car between the wheels along the pipe running to the front. I'm no mechanic should I be worried about this? I've never even looked there until I noticed the spot, which dried up an hour later, so I'm clueless. The net isn't much help on a search I get stuff about a rear differential leak and some people talking about seals. Another saying to tighten the bolts on the rear end. Anyone know?
    Last edited by ezwip; 08-13-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

sounds to me like your air conditioner dropped some condensation

if it dried up and is gone then i wouldnt worry ,oil will stain the concrete

Black
    02 Z28 M6

It's sludgy and I rarely run the AC. I touched the pipe and it's greasy and wet looking. I've got a mechanic I can take it to for repairs, but I like to act like I've got a clue what I'm talking about. He's a Ford mechanic so if I have no clue he's going to tell me it's my flux capacitor or something to screw with me.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I'm not exactly clear where the puddle was...in between the front wheels or rear wheels??

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

First thing is to put it on a lift or stands and let us know exactly where it's leaking from. If it's the rear-end, a lot of times it's coming from the pinion seal, if it is, get it fixed now, don't go past go, do not collect $200 dollars. I failed to fix a small leak before, instead I just topped it off once a month. One day on the highway the seal failed completely and my rear was done for before I even knew what happened.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

that problem is not uncommen in our cars, not always as bad in jags case but because most of us kids like to wail on the car a bit the rear does sometimes get a little oily in the back. Just park it on the road to save your driveway and get it fixed or take your chances, relax not the end of the world-this time.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Got pics?
    Like said above if it dried up it was probly water or something along those lines.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

You're right, fortunately not everyone has my good luck lol. I want to say there is a redesigned yolk that's bigger around than the old one and has a different seal, and is supposed to fix the issue IIRC. For what it's worth, mine doesn't leak a drop, and I beat on it for about a year since then.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Thanks for the help folks.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

mine leaks where the diff housing meets the axle housings, theres about 3/4 of an inch of dirt caked up on my axle housing. fluid saturates it, more dirt sticks, and so on. Im scared to scrape it off cuz i feel like its helping slow the leak.

Im pulling my diff cover off soon to change my fluid and visually look at my gears. should i mess with that other stuff while im down there?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

If it's really leaking where the diff meets the axle housings....I'd clean the crap out of it and patch up the area with some kind of sealant, not sure what would work best but possibly some rtv, if that doesn't work some kind of exhaust patch putty or jb weld maybe?

Thread Information