Thread: rear end help

midnight blue
    1998 z28

rear end help

ok my clutch had been slippin for about a month,or least thats wa=hat i thought,the other day i punched it to get in traffic,and evedently broke something loose,it is making a scraping sound,sounded like something was scraping the ground,the first thing i thought was maybe the clutch gave out,but something wasnt adding up,i jacked up the rear end took the diif cover off and set up on stands and looked at the gears every thing looked visibly in tack,put it in first gear and let it ride on the stands,i cant pinpoint where but there is a small rattle in the back, but i did notice a small 1in scrape on my draft shaft,has anyone ever had this problem,i would greatly appreciate anyones oppinions,it is a 1998 z28 m6

black
    2000 camaro z28

hey man...sup? does it whine when driving? its may be a pinion bearing...this will let the driveshaft have play in it and will let it bang when standing on it....w/car on ground...grab the rear of the driveshaft and wiggle it...you will need to use force...if it has play that may be the prob..mne did the same thing...except i kicked the driveshaft...that was a kool $500 mistake...also check the u-joints...and when checking the clutch...in 3rd gear at approx 35 mpf...push clutch in and rev engine...bang clutch out...if it puts your head in the back seat, its ok..if the engine revs and you go nowhere...the clutch is bad...and that test works on all cars

midnight blue
    1998 z28

rear end

yeah man i beleive its the pinion bearing,it has a little play in the drive shaft,i appreciate the follow up,do u know how hard that is to fix,or should i just take it to someone

black
    2000 camaro z28

depends on how much you know...you will need a press...i would take it to the chevy dealer...they have prolly done a million of them...it may cost more...but you get good parts and a good warranty...you will need the pinion bearing...a seal...and a crush sleeve...oh yeah and gear oil of course...lol
    good luck and let me know how it turns out...

Thread Information