Thread: REAR end girdle

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

REAR end girdle

im at 29k miles......pretty much time to change my rear end fluid......suggestions for what which rear oil to go with?? opinions on the girdle......do guys think it actually helps the stock 10 bolt last longer????? i dont track my car and only run street tires.....would like it to last forever.....if it dosnt so be it.....but i can try right? ...on top of that they look nice to..that stamped sheet metal looks like shit.......lookin at lingenfelters rear end girdle..looks sweeet...179 bucks of insurance im thinking

pewter

i know what everyones going to say.....dont waste money on the 10 bolt....thats not my question though...your talking about 200 bucks VS 2500 for a 9 inch....really no comparison in cost and since its solely for street use i dont see a problem with the 10 bolt lasting me a long time.....i only put 5k miles a year on the car

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

If you don't have plans for drag radials and making it hook then it won't aid shit!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

pewter

come on........anyone?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I honestly just pulled the old one and painted it. Its really not going to help or hurt. Its just going to look nifty but how many times do you have people crawl under your car.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

pewter

thanks.....thats what i was wondering........if it actually did offer some serious support for the rear end to help it last longer........if not im not going to bother and prolly go your route......sand it down and paint it black

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

It does help strengthen it out.
    I forgot exactly how it works but releifs some pressure points around the center or somthing. But yea its worth getting.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

As I have already said you are wasting money unless you plan on making the car hook. You aren't needing any added strength to the carrier bearing caps if you are on street tires!! All it does is pre load the 2 caps that hold the ring gear/carrier in the housing. O'h and it does add a little strength by keeping the opening from flexing/de forming but again your not flexing shit when you are still spinning the tires.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    As I have already said you are wasting money unless you plan on making the car hook. You aren't needing any added strength to the carrier bearing caps if you are on street tires!! All it does is pre load the 2 caps that hold the ring gear/carrier in the housing. O'h and it does add a little strength by keeping the opening from flexing/de forming but again your not flexing shit when you are still spinning the tires.
    I agree, In a street car not dropping the clutch or racing the rear will last a while. A girdle will strengthen it a little yes, do you need one in your application NO. Besides if you are going for the "cool" factor, you can't even see it tucked up under there anyway. Save your $200 on something else
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yeah if you can see the diff. cover it's time to take the air shocks off and drop the car to where it should be sitting with the V-6 springs!

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Yeah if you can see the diff. cover it's time to take the air shocks off and drop the car to where it should be sitting with the V-6 springs!
    its set up for twistys!!! No v6 springs here...........stranos...and yes i have a hard time seeing the pumpkin........im sure it still flexs somwhat during hard launches and hard 1st 2nd shifts ....if i was launching hard on stickys god himself couldnt save my rearend

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well pretty soon I am planning on doing a good bit of motor work.
    Bored out .30 over to a 355, H/C/I bolt ons.
    I already have suspension and exhuaust.
    My goal is to have 450RWHP, do you think I will need a new rear? I will still be on stree tires, 275/40/17 and I will not launch it hard at all (will launch at around 3K) even at the track, yea i know I will be spinning

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I don't think the girdle adds any strength at all but if you don't drag race it I think your rear will be fine. It does look nice and makes changing the fluid much easier. I say get it if you want and you're going to keep your 10 bolt. I don't like the TA girdle as the one I had for my old 10 bolt didn't have a magnetic drain plug. The LPW cover that came with my 12 bolt did come with a magnetic drainplug. Some catbacks tuck up higher than others. My Borla tucks up and you can see my rears girdle plain as day when driving behind my car. Kinda cool at night with headlights on it.

Thread Information