Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scabbedwings616 scabbedwings616's Avatar

black
    2001 corvette

which rear end is better?

if you were to choose a rear end would you choose a mosar or a strange one? and why? and what gears would you get in it? and why?

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

I have a Moser housing with a Strange center section with 4:11 gears for drag racing.

White with silver stripes
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i have a strange 12 bolt in my t/a. My installation was a complete nightmare! i could write a novel about all the problems i ran into. But my problems were because of Strange's SHITTY customer service sending me the wrong parts, TWICE. Then again i have heard many horror stories about both moser and strange so its up to you. IMO strange has the better product.

Do the rear ends 12bolt come with a gears in it or not? cause I already have those 3:73 in my stock rear end setup.

black
    2001 corvette

yeah they come with them in there, you get to choose which one you want and they have alot to choose from...great choices with 12 bolts both companies...

2000 Trans Am WS6

12 bolts have larger gears than the stock 10 bolt. that is one reason why they are so much stronger, everything is bigger! so you would not be able to use your 3:73's in a 12 bolt.

hmmm, any other mods I can do without doing the 12 bolt? I already did the subframe connectors,, what else I can do to keep stock 10 bolt and still
    have a rear end that holds at 500rwhp launches for my A4. (I'll be like 550rwhp after s/c)
    I have 3.73 gears now.. so adding panhard in the rear help out?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    hmmm, any other mods I can do without doing the 12 bolt? I already did the subframe connectors,, what else I can do to keep stock 10 bolt and still
    have a rear end that holds at 500rwhp launches for my A4. (I'll be like 550rwhp after s/c)
    I have 3.73 gears now.. so adding panhard in the rear help out?
    The cross fingers, luck and praying seems to be a good mod for the stock one with that much power!

2000 Trans Am WS6

yeah, you could build up the 10 bolt with axles, posi unit, gears, and a support cover but that will only extend it's life a couple launches with that much power. Now if you plan on driving like a lil old lady everywhere then you'l be fine with a 10 bolt. as far as suspension, that wont help the rear end stay together but it will give you more traction. lower control arms, a good torque arm, swaybars, and lower control arm relocation brackets will get rid of any wheelhop and some wheelspin.

Quote Originally Posted by wesTXwitesnake05 View Post
    yeah, you could build up the 10 bolt with axles, posi unit, gears, and a support cover but that will only extend it's life a couple launches with that much power. Now if you plan on driving like a lil old lady everywhere then you'l be fine with a 10 bolt. as far as suspension, that wont help the rear end stay together but it will give you more traction. lower control arms, a good torque arm, swaybars, and lower control arm relocation brackets will get rid of any wheelhop and some wheelspin.
    yeah, no lil old lady.. I punch it pretty well at times.. so 12 bolt is the final answer, shoot and I just did the 3.73.. I'll do heads/cam next, and drive it for a year or two, then slap 2k on new rear end and get a s/c on it, such is life money, money.

2000 Trans Am WS6

haha yeah, thats how it is. you gotta pay to play! good luck man
    00' ws6, custom paint, bolt on's and bolt in's.. http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=11454

will do, thanks for the info!

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

So what is all the hub bub about spline count? more splines better/worse? or does it affect gear ratios?

What the differance in limiteed slip vs. positrac vs. lockers?
    Last edited by Phlash_riot; 11-27-2006 at 11:30 AM.

black
    2001 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Phlash_riot View Post
    So what is all the hub bub about spline count? more splines better/worse? or does it affect gear ratios?

What the differance in limiteed slip vs. positrac vs. lockers?
    from what i know the more splines the more hp it will eventually be able to handle, if you search online they have breakdowns of what it is. the most common for 12 bolts is 33 but can go as high as 40(i think)

Black
    2000 z

Shit I have seen many 9 and 10 sec 10 bolt auto cars.

blue
    1999 pontiac Trans AM

Strange S60 is the BEST rearend by far!! Dana 60 and big houseing is what Nascar uses and mine has held up far better then my other 12 bolt

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

the 12 bolt is a great rear end, but the S60 will be essentially bullet proof. heres the kicker. if you get the right deal, the S60 can be bought for about 200 cheaper than the 12 bolt. the Strange components are by far the best compared to others, and prices are relatively the same. if you go through a reputable dealer, you wont have any problems with customer service.

blue
    1999 pontiac Trans AM

Bulletproof is right

Quote Originally Posted by 99RedRagtop View Post
    the 12 bolt is a great rear end, but the S60 will be essentially bullet proof. heres the kicker. if you get the right deal, the S60 can be bought for about 200 cheaper than the 12 bolt. the Strange components are by far the best compared to others, and prices are relatively the same. if you go through a reputable dealer, you wont have any problems with customer service.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Bose2683 View Post
    Strange S60 is the BEST rearend by far!! Dana 60 and big houseing is what Nascar uses and mine has held up far better then my other 12 bolt

Talked to Strange customer service yesterday, according to them the Dana 60 is stronger and cheaper than their 12-bolt. Emphasis on CHEAPER. If you plan to drive your car hard, and after an expensive head/cam swap, you damn well better, it is a MUST for an axle upgrade.

GM should offer to do that swap for cheap considering how much of an engineering DISASTER is the 10 bolt.

I am still hesistant about the 3K that is going to dropped when it is all said and done though.

which rear end is better? hmmm, deep question

Thread Information