Thread: Which Rear End?

Red
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Which Rear End?

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding a new rearend for my TA. I have a 2000 WS6 Trans Am with auto transmission and my stock 10 bolt rear is heading south. Hopefully, next summer my TA will be relegated to second car status and I can modify it the way I've always wanted to! I've always planned on upgrading the rear but since its about to give out, what better time than the present right? My question is, which rear would be best for my car? In the future, I plan on dropping in a new motor and shooting for something in the 450 to 475 hp range. The car will be a street/strip car and will be extensively street driven. It would also have to step in and be the daily driver temporarily if my primary transportation ever had to take a trip to the garage. I always figured on bolting in a 12 bolt but my dad pointed out the Strange S60 to me and says that would be the way to go. It sounds good and the price isn't really any different, but it seems like overkill for what I intend. I also wonder about the weight. I don't know the exact details, but I would assume that the S60 would be heavier than a 12 bolt. If I did get the 12 bolt, which one should I go with; the Strange or the Moser? Is one better than the other? Any and all opinions and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

strange would be the rear i get. those are some strong rears

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Strange 12 bolt or moser 9". I have the 9" and love it + it is the cheapest out of the 3. Good luck
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 12-04-2007 at 02:41 PM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

green
    98 formula

you are right the s60 is overkill and heavier are you sure 475hp would be enough? I would be sure about the power before selecting the rear and gearing the stock rear could be beefed up to handle 475hp most people would probably be safe with the 12 bolt or 9 inch

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Rule of thumb is a moser 9" for a 6 speed and a Strange 12 bolt for an auto, But I would go with the 9" no matter what I had. Too many people complain about gear whine with 12 bolts and even the S60.

Red
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Which Rear End

Thanks for the replies guys, keep 'em coming please. Maybe I could make the stock 10 bolt last with the kind of power I want to make but why chance it. I would like to run drag radials and maybe some kind of slick and don't want to worry about when or if the rear would give up. I figure with what I plan on, a 9" inch, 12 bolt or S60 should be good insurance. My stock rear has already been fitted with Motive 3.73 gears as well as an aftermarket cover. So people report gear whine with the S60 as well? Heres another question, I've heard people report in the past that often times the backside of the car has been lifted about an inch or so after the installation of a 12 bolt. What is the deal with this? Jay00SS, I assume the 9" can be hooked up with the ABS system? Also, how much for a complete, ready to go bolt in 9"? Thanks again guys, I appreciate the input!

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Flash00TA View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, keep 'em coming please. Maybe I could make the stock 10 bolt last with the kind of power I want to make but why chance it. I would like to run drag radials and maybe some kind of slick and don't want to worry about when or if the rear would give up. I figure with what I plan on, a 9" inch, 12 bolt or S60 should be good insurance. My stock rear has already been fitted with Motive 3.73 gears as well as an aftermarket cover. So people report gear whine with the S60 as well? Heres another question, I've heard people report in the past that often times the backside of the car has been lifted about an inch or so after the installation of a 12 bolt. What is the deal with this? Jay00SS, I assume the 9" can be hooked up with the ABS system? Also, how much for a complete, ready to go bolt in 9"? Thanks again guys, I appreciate the input!
    Question #1 I have herd and read that the s-60 torque arm mount is not that good and it tweaks the houseing causeing gear whine.

#2 yes my 9" is set up for a 4 channel with ABS and TCS. I also have a Detroit Locker in mine

#3 I bought my 9" for $2550 shipping included. It has a Moser 9" case with drain plug and 35 Spline axles with new reluctor rings installed, A Strange Pro Nodular third member with Motive Performance 4.30's and a Detroit Locker.

Also the rearend of my car came up a little but not bad. I like the stance better.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

You can go less aggressive on your build up and be around $2200 Complete.

For instance, You can go with 31 spline axles, a Detroit Tru-trac, and a regular nodular case. + the trutrac posi unit is much more quiet and will not clunk or rachet like my Detroit Locker. You might be happier with this set up. And still have a rearend good to 550 horse power.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 11-30-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Red
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Which Rear End

I stoped and talked to my dealer today and he recomended the Strange 12 bolt. He said that he's installed three or four of them into F-bodys and they've all been problem free. He said he didn't recomend the Moser 12 bolt as the few that hes dealt with were nothing but problems. Neither him nor my dad were very favorable toward the 9". He said that if I order the Strange 12 bolt complete that Strange will dyno test the rear and make sure there isn't any gear whine. I will probably give Strange a call Monday morning and see what they have to say.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

i plan on getting a 9''..would it set off any abs codes?

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    i plan on getting a 9''..would it set off any abs codes?
    Mine didn't I have a 4 channel, and Detroit Locker and no issues at all.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 12-02-2007 at 07:46 AM.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Rule of thumb is a moser 9" for a 6 speed and a Strange 12 bolt for an auto, But I would go with the 9" no matter what I had. Too many people complain about gear whine with 12 bolts and even the S60.
    Same here. I have a 9" with and 4.11's and locker behind an auto. But I plan on removing all the ABS and I didn't have TCS from the get go so I got mine without the rings etc. It did make the rear sit a little higher but thats what the sawzall was for.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

For an auto I'd go with a Strange 12 bolt. I have one in my six speed.

Red
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Which Rear End?

Well, today I took the plunge and ordered a Strange 12 bolt for my TA. Its got all the good stuff, 33 spline axles, HD Eaton positraction unit, welded tubes and I even took the upgrade to the aluminum cover. I got the same gearset that currently resides in my stock 10 bolt, 3.73. I specifically requested Motive gears as my dealer said they would probably be a little more quiet than the Strange gears. They said approximately three and a half weeks build time, so hopefully by the first or second week in January I should have the new rear in the car! Thanks everyone for their input! Hope all goes well!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Took me a lil over two months to get mine. Enjoy it.

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

If you plan on staying less than 550 RWHP as you say, and you're running an automatic, I'd run a 12 bolt. The other 2 may be a little stronger, but its not really called for. A 12 bolt is also gonna have the least parasitic loss, putting more power to the tires

-Will

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Flash00TA View Post
    Well, today I took the plunge and ordered a Strange 12 bolt for my TA. Its got all the good stuff, 33 spline axles, HD Eaton positraction unit, welded tubes and I even took the upgrade to the aluminum cover. I got the same gearset that currently resides in my stock 10 bolt, 3.73. I specifically requested Motive gears as my dealer said they would probably be a little more quiet than the Strange gears. They said approximately three and a half weeks build time, so hopefully by the first or second week in January I should have the new rear in the car! Thanks everyone for their input! Hope all goes well!
    Good choice, but you'll be waiting a while. Make sure everything is ok when you get it. A buddy ordered a 12 bolt from strange, Took over a month to get it then had some issues with some parts and had to wait another 3 weeks to get the damaged/correct parts in from Strange, but they were great and had great customer service!! Enjoy!!

It's nice knowing you have a bulletproof rearend and you can really have fun and enjoy the car now!!

My 9" got here in 4 days from ordering no probs at all.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 12-04-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Thread Information