Thread: rear end...

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

rear end...

i'm looking to get a stronger rear end and my buddy is telling me to get a ford 9 inch. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and how it'll fit and what not.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Lots of good info posted in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=rear That is from when I went shopping late last year. Ended up purchasing a Moser 12 bolt for our car.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Lots of good info posted in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=rear That is from when I went shopping late last year. Ended up purchasing a Moser 12 bolt for our car.
    Moser 12 myself... There are alot of opinions on the subject. My best advice read what Jeff has posted and make you own choice. Each rear IMO has its good points and bad.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

One other thing to mention -- with the 12 bolt I had to get a shorter driveshaft. Not sure about the 9" or Dana. If you are able to keep your stock driveshaft, you will probably need a conversion u-joint.

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by camarospade View Post
    i'm looking to get a stronger rear end and my buddy is telling me to get a ford 9 inch. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and how it'll fit and what not.
    I FAWK'N love the 9", it's massive...

I have about 700 miles on my moser 9" now, install complete about 2 weeks ago. It's not a "bolt on, bolt on" but there wasn't any fabrication, a little fighting, head scratching, bit of grinding on the torqe arm adapter and cuss'n she slid in there... Pinion Angle was a bitch.

I do recommend Double Adjustable LCA's be budgeted into the mix and an aftermarket Torqe Arm, stock drive shaft is good and there's several guys that will vouch for it, the stock sway bar could have been reused, I went with a spohn 1" and UMI 9" sway bar brackets.

I went with the 9" because a 12 bolt optioned the way I wanted it was actually more expensive, gear noise on a drag raced 12 bolt is complained about alot, I hear the gears in the 9" between 30-55mph, after that the road noise cancels them out, haveing the stereo on low the noise isn't there.

Get the LCA 4 hole brackets they're a free option, pay the $70 for fill and drain plugs... you'll thank yourself in the long run. I kept the ABS/TCS and not a single issue, felt the ABS work yesterday on some loose sand.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    One other thing to mention -- with the 12 bolt I had to get a shorter driveshaft. Not sure about the 9" or Dana. If you are able to keep your stock driveshaft, you will probably need a conversion u-joint.
    I did not have to shorten my driveshaft. But I did have to do the u-joint conversion. I had it done on 2 aluminum ds.... I dont think I spent more than $100 for both.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KC&97TA View Post
    I FAWK'N love the 9", it's massive...

I have about 700 miles on my moser 9" now, install complete about 2 weeks ago. It's not a "bolt on, bolt on" but there wasn't any fabrication, a little fighting, head scratching, bit of grinding on the torqe arm adapter and cuss'n she slid in there... Pinion Angle was a bitch.

I do recommend Double Adjustable LCA's be budgeted into the mix and an aftermarket Torqe Arm, stock drive shaft is good and there's several guys that will vouch for it, the stock sway bar could have been reused, I went with a spohn 1" and UMI 9" sway bar brackets.

I went with the 9" because a 12 bolt optioned the way I wanted it was actually more expensive, gear noise on a drag raced 12 bolt is complained about alot, I hear the gears in the 9" between 30-55mph, after that the road noise cancels them out, haveing the stereo on low the noise isn't there.

Get the LCA 4 hole brackets they're a free option, pay the $70 for fill and drain plugs... you'll thank yourself in the long run. I kept the ABS/TCS and not a single issue, felt the ABS work yesterday on some loose sand.
    I read that when searching back when I got my 12 bolt. My drag raced 12 bolt is quite. I must have gotten lucky or Moser was paying more attention.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I did not have to shorten my driveshaft. But I did have to do the u-joint conversion. I had it done on 2 aluminum ds.... I dont think I spent more than $100 for both.
    With the car on it's wheels I only had about 5/8" of clearance between the damper and the back of the tailstock. I can't imagine it would ever have hit but after giving my measurements to PST the shaft they sent was about 1" shorter.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I read that when searching back when I got my 12 bolt. My drag raced 12 bolt is quite. I must have gotten lucky or Moser was paying more attention.
    I think the noise may be due to set up...they might be setting it right on the very least possible drag and when it loosens up, as they will a little bit, then you get the noise.

Though i haven't seen one before and after to go over and see what the set up was before noise and after....

But i would go 12 bolt over 9, dana over both

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I think I read somewhere that Moser now uses a solid pinion bearing spacer on the 12 bolt if you tell them its going in a M6 car.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

The crush collar could be the issue too.

Thread Information