Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Exclamation Rear brake rotor install

Hi guys I am changing my rear rotors and pads as I write this. I had just done my fronts all went well fairly quick and easy. I was going off the install university guide. It looks like that guide only really applies to the front. My rears seem to have what appears to be a lock washer over three of the studs on each side of the rear. Is this stock? Has anyone here changed their rear rotors and might be able to guide me a bit? I just need to get the rear rotors off and then I can pretty much take it from there.
    Last edited by oo7steven; 03-24-2008 at 12:02 PM.

If I remember correctly when I swapped my rear only one lug had a "star" washer on each side, didn't bother to put them back on.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have 3 on each side. I pry'd them off using a thick paint scraper. Then lightly hammered the back of the rotor until it started to give way. Closing up the rear left now. Should be all done soon. I assume they were just to hold the rotor in place while putting the caliper on. Thanks for the info, I am gonna check with a gm dealership to see if there is a reason they should be on or what not. I am sure I will get a blank stare when I ask. Maybe one of the vet's will see this on here and have an idea later.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

My 2000 had 3 on each side. My understanding of the need for those washers is mainly an assembly aid. Through the factory, those washers hold the rotor on until wheels are installed. The suspension is done much ahead of actually bolting on wheels. So once the car is yours, there isn't much need for those washers.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ok thanks that is basically what I was thinking, I will post some pics of the finished install most likely tonight. I went with the ebc zinc washed dimpled and slotted with red stuff pads. Going through the whole seasoning portion now. I have about 190 miles on the front rotors and 30 on the rears.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

ok here's some pics:

The old rotor, terriblay.

The finished all closed up.

The rear finished product.

Tomorrow is plugs and wires and I may tackle the shift kit depending on how long the weather will hold out or else it may come in next week during the fuel filter and oil change.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have alot more pics on my myspace if you want to see them or have any questions pm me. The caliper work will be coming on the next warm weekend.

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    My 2000 had 3 on each side. My understanding of the need for those washers is mainly an assembly aid. Through the factory, those washers hold the rotor on until wheels are installed. The suspension is done much ahead of actually bolting on wheels. So once the car is yours, there isn't much need for those washers.
    That is exactly what they are for. Throw them out.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBob View Post
    That is exactly what they are for. Throw them out.
    X2. Just to keep them in place before the wheels are installed at the factory.

Once you tighten the lugs, the rotor ain't goin' anywhere. If you went to the trouble of removing them intact, I guess you could put them back on, but they really aren't useful.

Quote Originally Posted by oo7steven View Post
    I have alot more pics on my myspace if you want to see them or have any questions pm me. The caliper work will be coming on the next warm weekend.
    You should add your myspace address to your user profile as your webpage.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Your right I should and will do that now and I basically hacked them off with a thick paint scrapper and hammer . So they won't be going back on anyway

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by oo7steven View Post
    Your right I should and will do that now and I basically hacked them off with a thick paint scrapper and hammer . So they won't be going back on anyway
    Side cutters work great.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I just used a flat head screwdriver placed the tip on one of the ridges and smacked it lightly with my hand. Once they are loosened up you can spin them off like a nut.

As said above just something the factory uses to help with assembly. I would throw them out so you have one less thing to deal with whenever you want to work on the brakes.

I also suggest use locktite on all the brake caliber bolts. Torqued mine up and went for a test drive. One of the bracket bolts for the rear fell of and bound up with the rim.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

I did use locktite and torqued everything to the correct specs. I rechecked the front lugs when I was closing up the rears because I did them 2 days before. a couple had gone back quite a ways. Probably those few 100+ mph runs didn't help. The frame and caliper bolts themselves seem to be solid.

Thread Information