Black
    2002 SS

Cool Rear Axle Bearings - New ones failed!

I had a reputable garage replace rear axles, bearings and seals (that were leaking) on my 2002 SS at about 118K miles. About 1000 miles later one of the rear seals blew out and the other was leaking. The mechanic said there are no "repair bearings" made for this axle so only original size bearings can go in. They replaced the bearings and seals (warrantied parts but not labor) and said if it happens again I will need a new rear end.

If it goes bad again, what would be my best option? I don't want to throw a used rear end in because I can't imagine there are any around that are low mileage and not worn out. What aftermarket "new" axles are available and how much?

Thanks!
    Black 2002 SS
    SLP Airbox Lid, K&N Filter, Flowmaster Exhaust
    CDT Speakers + Sub

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Seeing how the 10 bolt is the weakest link on the cars, not an easy decision.

No matter what you'll be throwing some money at it.

Cheapest route will be a used rear from a junk yard and have it rebuilt and in the end still the weakest link in your drive train.

One other option and I put this in the maybe category - You can get 9" Moser housing ends and have them installed replacing the housing ends on the tubes. Doing this eliminates the c clips BUT and here's the catch, I don't know if there is a bearing that is the same diameter of the f body axles and the outside diameter of the 9" housing end. It is one of 2 issues the second would be making sure the housing ends are in the correct spacing and alignment for the axles.

Other options:

Custom 8.8, 9" and 12 bolts all cost between $1800 - $2500, depending on what you throw in it.

I built my custom 8.8 a couple of yrs ago and it is still going strong. I just finished building one for Will (98TransAmWS-6) can't wait to see his car back up and running.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Agree with Scott. Either a Moser or Strange should do you fine. They are pricey, but pretty good. Another thing to check is the vent on your rear end to see if it is plugged, causing heat/moisture/pressure in the housing, causing the axle seals to blow out. When you had the seals and bearings replaced, were the original seals making noise/growling? Any damage to the axle tubes? Figured I'd ask.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by BigFrog View Post
    I had a reputable garage replace rear axles, bearings and seals (that were leaking) on my 2002 SS at about 118K miles. About 1000 miles later one of the rear seals blew out and the other was leaking. The mechanic said there are no "repair bearings" made for this axle so only original size bearings can go in. They replaced the bearings and seals (warrantied parts but not labor) and said if it happens again I will need a new rear end.

If it goes bad again, what would be my best option? I don't want to throw a used rear end in because I can't imagine there are any around that are low mileage and not worn out. What aftermarket "new" axles are available and how much?

Thanks!
    WTH?

You said the seals blew, and the guy is giving you crap about the bearings? Did he diagnose that the bearings failed, or didn't fit into the housing? I would figure if the bearing wore, it would be towards the shaft, not the housing. If it's towards the shaft, the wear would be with the shaft , and a new shaft would be needed, not a new housing.

I had a bearing and shaft get puked up on my old '89 T/A, and the fix was one axle, and a seal and bearing set.

While the guys are right about the eventual mortality of the 7 5/8, I am a bit skeptical about the whole needing a whole new rear end assembly because of an axle seal/bearing.

Thread Information