Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

rattling in my rear?

I have a sound coming from my rear end that sounds like there's some rocks tumbling in my rear whenever I slow down. It happens the most while coasting in neighborhoods or parking lots. I'm worried my rear end is going to shit. Anyone else have noisy rear ends or have similar problems?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could be part of your e-brake assembly rattling around inside its drum.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'd say pull the cover look in and see if you can see anything wrong. Could be a dry or damaged U-jount too. Good luck!
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

This is from Torsen's FAQ page;

Torsen for GM vehicles:

Is it true that the Torsen unit in the production Camaro needs the GM modifier added? Top of the Page

GM issued a technical bulletin adding modifier to the rear axle oil. This was done to quiet what we call a "Rusty Screw" noise that we heard in a very small percentage of vehicles. This does not happen in all cases, however to address owner's concerns we asked that the modifier be used in all instances to insure that the driver would not get this noise. When replacing the fluid it is at the owner's discretion whether or not to add the modifier. Elimination of the modifier does not affect durability of the differential.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    This is from Torsen's FAQ page;

Torsen for GM vehicles:

Is it true that the Torsen unit in the production Camaro needs the GM modifier added? Top of the Page

GM issued a technical bulletin adding modifier to the rear axle oil. This was done to quiet what we call a "Rusty Screw" noise that we heard in a very small percentage of vehicles. This does not happen in all cases, however to address owner's concerns we asked that the modifier be used in all instances to insure that the driver would not get this noise. When replacing the fluid it is at the owner's discretion whether or not to add the modifier. Elimination of the modifier does not affect durability of the differential.
    Yep had this added to mine at 29k. 3 years later still quiet. However it wasnt makeing the same noises as described by the OP.
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-17-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

This noise is normal, believe it or not. My car did it since day one and no additive or different fluid would quiet it down. Do a search for "marbles" here or on LS1Tech.com. It's called the can of marbles noise. It's the gears in the Torsen carrier banging around on the side of the case. Harmless.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ya, that's exactly what it sounds like. Why did GM use such shitty rear ends?!?!?!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    ya, that's exactly what it sounds like. Why did GM use such shitty rear ends?!?!?!
    "lets throw a ls1 and a decent drivetrain in this car.... hmm... dam.. were out of design money.. eh fuck it.. throw in a s-10 rear end.. itll hold for a while..."

White
    1998 Trans Am

Actually mine had the additive but still mad some noise, It it gets to the point where it get's so lout you can't hear your radio at 65 to 70 your rear is almost toast at that point. I know I had to rebuit the rear once. I just tossed the 3.23's i installed a year ago for some 3.73. All quiet again for now
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Thread Information