00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Rattle/Clanging Sound in Rear and False Anti Lock/Low Tract

Hey guys. . . I'm having some rattling/clanging coming from what sounds like the rear end when braking. I just changed the front rotors a few weeks ago, because I was having pulsating when braking, like the rotors were warped. The new rotors fixed this, but about a week later I felt pulsating again like the rears were warped. Now I'm getting a slight pulsating and clanging noise. My first reaction was that one or both the front wheels were loose after the rotor change, but they're tight as frog's ass. And so are the rear wheels, but the axles seems to have a bit of play in the housing.
    I am also having an issue with the anti locks engaging unnecessarily and the low traction light on the first 5 minutes or so that the car is running. I don't know if these two are related, but they have both started around the same time.
    I also had the transmission rebuilt about a month ago. I took the tranny out to begin with it, got it rebuilt, put it back in and then it still had issues with it not shifting. So my tranny guy took the transmission back out out himself and reinstalled (later finding out it was unnecessary to remove it again to fix the issue).
    Again, I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with my new issue, but I figured it is worth mentioning. I'm thinking it probably just needs axles bearings or something, but I don't have a lot of experience with read ends. And I didn't find a thread similar to this problem, so I figured I'd gather your guys' thoughts.
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Its normal for the rear axles to slide in and out a little bit, but any side to side or up and down movement is bad.
    This might sound simplistic but a rattle/clank only when braking might have something to do with the brakes. Have you pulled the rear wheels to look at the brakes?
    Unwanted ABS activation could be related to some of these problems but could also be something not related.

The axles only move in and out, so I'm thinking that the rear end may not be the issue here. I agree with thinking it should be something simple. I have not taken the rear wheels off yet. I guess I haven't considered the rear brakes, because nothing has be done to them recently. I have got a feeling it could be something that was reinstalled with the transmission, like the torque arm. I had the car on the lift and looked the torque arm over, but the bolts at the rear looked tight. As for the ABS, it may just be a sensor. But it seemed odd that its happening at the same time as this issue. FYI, the ABS hasnt worked since I've had the car.

It was the torque arm. Even if the bolts look tight, it can still have play in it. The abs issue is still there though. I'm thinking its probably a sensor.

Thread Information