blue
    2002 Trans Am

question on moser 9in rear end (please help)

ok so the shop that was doing the install, I went up there to see how everything was going, because Moser forgot to send one of the studs and had to wait on it to get in. They had a couple days and this shop seems to go slow IMO. Just so we are clear I may have certain words wrong on what they are called, but work with me here. As one knows the axles are shorter on the driver side compare to the pass side of the rear end. The thing that is happening is what Moser talks about the older disc brakes needing a shim/spacer/ flush mount part, because of the disc brakes. Well I know I told the Moser sales guy about my car and what all is going on and no joke just as on there web site says that the 1/8 spacer, is what is showing on my rear end. So I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem with ordering the Moser 9in and just getting the spacer for it and everything works out find. The guy is not able to get the end housing on flush like the other side and is needing the spacer. As always, there seems to always be something else and cannot just have everything needed to get this part done and also my car back to me for driving. I'll post up some pictures of what I am talking about but if one looks at moser's install instructions they can see the bold note on this. mine it seems has the space like the older models have.

any insight would be a blessing on this and to know that just getting the spacer and everything will be a okay.

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

here are instructions

ASh

- - - Updated - - -

its the top right block the part number 7900FM

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

here is a picture of someones, there is a gap, where it should sit flush.

Well guys any help and I would be grateful

Thanks and God Bless

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Went ahead and place my order for the 7900FM and got next day shipping. I'm curious to find out about this and wonder if moser messed up on this, I know they are human, but I do not believe they did. Next is finding out if the part will work with my disc brakes even though it was for older years, I believe the LT1's. Prob won't be here tomorrow, but Weds should be here

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Ok so after being the middle man from the shop installing everything to Moser
    It seems that I am waiting to here back from the shop on how long that axle is, it should be 33.5
    Moser said that if it is that long and if I did order a new one, then they would be cutting it the same size, so then it would cancel itself out.
    The next step would be either having the shop doing the install to find a shop that does machine work and have them cut down the axle or place a order for a custom axle through Moser on the correct length. I do not need the flush mount, so that will be getting sent back after it gets here and that is fine, knowing my luck would have need it.
    Also the other thing I found out was that if he pushed the axle in all the way it was hitting the ring and pin, so that is why to sit flush it was still to long and he thought using a shim to pull out so it would sit right.
    This is the update so far and just ready to get my ride back

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

update: well the shop could not trust anyone enough to cut the axle down, so asked me to contact moser and just have another one cut and made. So we will see, will be probably Friday before the other one is made and won't be here till probably Monday or Tuesday, so just wait. Then I have to deal with sending the other one back in to Moser. Over all I'm glad they wanted me to contact Moser instead of having someone they do not trust people around here, but sucks have to wait

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

UPDATE: Well yesterday was one of those days where it was many different directions. Matt at Moser has been outstanding to work with
    The thing was is that I got to talking with a friend who had a guy that has a lot of experience and would be able to cut the Moser Axle down for me,
    So ended up taking it to his shop and I made sure he could or would be able to cut it and he said he would or there was another really good guy that would, so I could cancel my order for another axle from moser, so I was waiting to find out, because I did not want to cancel with Moser and then have to re-start with them, so cancel the order and now waiting on the guy to call me that the Axle is cut

ASh

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sorry -- late to the party here.

I have ordered some parts for our 12 bolt from Moser and they were great to deal with. Will check back in to see how things work out. Good luck!

blue
    2002 Trans Am

I will for sure update, I hope that the guy gets it cut tomorrow, didn't hear anything from him today, but I hope he can do it and get it done, so I can hand it back to the shop to get everything thrown in, got to run my SLP LM1 system up there, going to just have them install since everything is pulled out and will be easy for them to throw it up in there while its on the rack, plastic dip the SLP tips black

ASh

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I don't understand on why you are having so much trouble with this install. I think I would have sent the whole thing back along with the backing plates and abs parts and had them install everything. There is No way I would be cutting and paying for axles on my own after spending so much on it. Moser would be making it right for my applaction.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I don't understand on why you are having so much trouble with this install. I think I would have sent the whole thing back along with the backing plates and abs parts and had them install everything. There is No way I would be cutting and paying for axles on my own after spending so much on it. Moser would be making it right for my applaction.
    I am not the one doing the install, but everything is all worked out, update on the other thread about it. The thing is, if you have a local shop that can cut the axle, than why not use them? either way its almost back in

ASh

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by ASh302 View Post
    I am not the one doing the install, but everything is all worked out, update on the other thread about it. The thing is, if you have a local shop that can cut the axle, than why not use them? either way its almost back in

ASh
    I was just wondering on when you pay as much as you did for a rear end that was to be set up for a f-body then why would you have to cut down axles! I would think or I would insist that the right parts were supplied to me with out having to rework them. Or is this common with the 9" Moser to have to rework the axles before it works properly?

Glad to hear it is coming together for you.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I was just wondering on when you pay as much as you did for a rear end that was to be set up for a f-body then why would you have to cut down axles! I would think or I would insist that the right parts were supplied to me with out having to rework them. Or is this common with the 9" Moser to have to rework the axles before it works properly?

Glad to hear it is coming together for you.
    Oh I get what you are thinking and would think the same thing.
    The guy that cut my axle, said that he has had this happen many times before on needing to cut the axle down sometimes, just being a little to long. atleast it was to long and not short.
    It is what it is, I know when I did my Procharger kit on my 04 Mach, the mounting of the head unit always seems to bring problems on everything mounting right and you would think with all the amount of s/c kits that Procharger has sold it would be smooth install, NOPE
    I've had this problem with car parts before, just remember we are all human's and small mishaps can happen, even a fully built car can blow up on the dyno or the first time someone gets on it. just the nature of the game.

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Also I went ahead and order the flush mount, but ended up not needing them, but I wanted to go ahead and place the order for a just incase I needed them

ASh

Thread Information