white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Okay Okay i know im sorry another rear end noise.

alright fellas, ill start off by saying that im pretty good with cars, im pretty good with about everything but rear ends, they are kind of a tricky thing, still there is still those stupid circumstances that arise that one would need help with, that being said,,,,

problem.'
    i have this other 10 bolt i got from a buddy, its basically stock with richmond 4.10's and a lpw struss kit,.

i put this rear in my 99 a4 and the rear was quite as hell, no whining no nothing, only time i heard this thing was decelerating from about 10mph and it was real real quite but i could here it. okay anyways, needless to say i removed the rear after a couple weeks and put it in my shop,

keeping in mind the rear was perfect upon removal,

okay now i bought myself another f body, its an 02 m6.
    so i finally got around to swapping this thing in my new car and the rear is nothing but noise all whines all speeds except for decelerating,

i know weird huh, its driving me fuckin crazy.

and to top it off it just vibrates when i accelerate, more noticeable at cruising speeds in 6th, if i coast it rides fine no noise, if i lightly touch the gas it vibrates and whines,

wtf is going on,

the only differances between the cars is obviously the transmissions and when i put the 4.10 rear in i installed slp lca's. same oil same everything.

anyone got some input or ideas, im fresh out of ideas and this is driving me crazy,

thanks for reading
    luke

Catfish for Breakfast Bobby97SS's Avatar

white
    97 SS

Driveshaft?

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

i agree with bobby it is the driveshaft. had the same problem with a 88 chevy pickup a long time ago

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

see thats what i was thinking as well, but the car made no noise before the rear end swap, i understand the driveshaft vibration thing at crusing but i think the whine has something to do with the vibration, i dont know, i will take a look at the u joints and maybe uninstall the shaft and reverse it 180* and see if that helps.

any more ideas fellas? keep em coming

thanks luke

Pewter
    99 Z/28

pinion angle not properly set?

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

see thats a possibility but would it cause howling? i think vibration yes but howling i dont know?

good thought tahnks

Something that jumped out at me that most people overlook on these 4th gens,,,,,is you mentioned installing SLP lower control arms when you installed the rearend in the second car.

These control arms I believe come with poly bushings instead of the standard rubber pieces. These poly bushings that everyone loves to use will transmit tons of noise whether you use them in the control arms,,,the torque arm, the trans mount etc......

Stock rubber pieces are there for a reason,,,,,they keep things quiet. Even my 02 SS camaro with an automatic and stock rearend was quiet as a mouse,,,,installed a poly trans mount, still running stock rubber torque arm mount though,,,but still I notice a slight amount of noise transmitted throughout the interior of the car now that wasn't there before.

My 6 speed car kept breaking the transmount all the time,,,,so I installed a poly mount on that car too for strength,,,,of course now there is more noise as well. Later on I went with a poly torque arm mount too,,,,now the noise is much more noticable, and it transmits right up through the shifter.

I would try swapping back over to stock lower control arms with rubber bushings and see how that affects things.

The more solid you mount the rearend in these cars the more noise they will transmit. Aftermarket torque arms are even worse.
    Just something to keep in mind.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

thats a very good point, i was wondering when someone would ask me that, i was asked the same thing by the guy at richmond gears, he said the same thing, remove the slp lca's and see how it does,

i am going to try this tommorrow,

thanks for the insight and good ideas

luke

could be pinion angle...
    use upper adjustable control arms to help with the alignment.

or type of yolk used not matching? I had a rearend swap to Dana60 and
    the yolk had to be replaced to a different type.

also the driveshaft had to be shortened by 1.5 inches since it was too tight now.
    I ended up having the driveshaft shortened, put a new yolk end in it and rebalance it.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

its a stock 10 bolt with gears, the yoke is the same, i cant imagine needing upper control arms to fix a wholing rear end?

yeah same rear different car, i think its the lca's transmitting the wholing thru the whole rear, im gonna put the stock ones back on and see what happens

Thread Information