Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

noise when accelerating

When I accelerate quickly while the car is already moving, I get a shaky squeak that comes from the rear of the car. It only happens when I accelerate hard, as far as I can tell. And it does it every time. My sig shows what I have done to my car. The lowering and suspension stuff I just did. Not sure if the sound was there before. I would appreciate any help. Thanks everybody.
    Diablo Sport Predator Performance Tune | TB Bypass | Bilstein HD Shocks | Eibach Pro Kit | UMI SFC | UMI Rear LCA's and brackets | UMI adj PHB, UMI Front/Rear Sway Bars |UMI Strut Tower Brace | SLP Lid | SLP Loud Mouth with quad tips | High output alt

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

No one

Really, no one has any advice on what I could be looking for? I really need some help before I break something.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I would start by checking all the bolts for the suspension - lower control arms, panhard bar, torque arm, ect., and make sure none are loose and tightened to proper specs. Check to make sure the springs are seated properly. After that, I would move on to checking drivetrain componants.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I would start by checking all the bolts for the suspension - lower control arms, panhard bar, torque arm, ect., and make sure none are loose and tightened to proper specs. Check to make sure the springs are seated properly. After that, I would move on to checking drivetrain componants.
    I was thinking about retightening everything on the suspension after I drove it awhile on the new parts. I will check. What is an example of the springs not being seated properly? Thanks for responding.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    I was thinking about retightening everything on the suspension after I drove it awhile on the new parts. I will check. What is an example of the springs not being seated properly? Thanks for responding.
    sometimes the rubber isolator that sits on top of the spring move out of place and it causes the spring to not seat right. Same thing at the bottom of the spring were it meets with the rear end. Also check that the rubber isolator are in good shape. There is a small rubber bushing that sits on top of the rear shocks and the floor of the car. If those bushings are adjusted properly they can break and cause knocking noise when you drive around.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Looked at your suspension thread and see you got all polyurethane, rod ends are known to be noisy. On top of the springs i'd re-check the sfc's. Then again if it only does it under hard acceleration it could be axle hop. Those lowering springs and will have thrown off the pinion angle, and the relocation brackets will aggravate the problem(more grip). If you have the time replace the rear springs and see if that fixes it, then you know you need an adjustable torque arm.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Looked at your suspension thread and see you got all polyurethane, rod ends are known to be noisy. On top of the springs i'd re-check the sfc's. Then again if it only does it under hard acceleration it could be axle hop. Those lowering springs and will have thrown off the pinion angle, and the relocation brackets will aggravate the problem(more grip). If you have the time replace the rear springs and see if that fixes it, then you know you need an adjustable torque arm.
    good call on wheel hop. i had this issue with my car before I upgraded my LCA's, TQ arm and SFC. I felt like jumping and somtimes like a small vibration. No more wheel hop after that.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

That's why I love this forum. Thanks guys. With everything said I just wanted to add that there is no noticeable shake or vibration, just the Squeek. Which goes away as soon as I deccelerate. I don't seem to get any wheel hop. It usually happens when I am going like 50 or 60 and floor it. It's weird too that it the Squeek sounds like it is from something shaking, but I would be going straight. Don't know if this helps pin point the problem any more. I greased everything with an aluminum complex instead of silicone based grease. Would that make a difference?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

SO it sounds like I should re tighten all my suspension/chassis parts to spec, install an adj Torque Arm and see what happens. I was wondering if it could just be my hatch? What do you think and how could I check if it is?

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Check the rear joint at the shaft, sounds like it was neglected of being greased

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Can I ruin any of my greasable suspension parts by over greasing?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You can by mix matching some greases, don't know about over greasing.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I am thinking maybe since I just installed new suspension parts that I might not have greased them enough. The directions for the parts said don't over grease, so I was conservative. I can't see how it would hurt them. I am trying to get in the garage to retighten and regrease and go from there. I will post what I find. What kind of grease should I use on my hatch latch. I know those have a dendency to squeek.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

So I went and loosened and retorqued down all my new suspension parts and the squeaking is still there. I have noticed that the squeaking is not only when I accelerate, but just squeaks periodically now. Any other ideas. Because it is squeaking, i think that there is something wrong that might cause more problems in the future. Any hep would be appreciated.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Did you check the rear u-joint ? Depending what you're greasing will depend on the grease.

U-joints will last with a high temp, high pressure style grease, the best choice would also be a marine grade syn grease (Lucas), while ball joints will be fine with a regular grease, bushings made of rubber you never use a oil based grease but a silicone base

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't think it's been said, but when you lower your car, your exhaust gets really close to the upper pan hard bar support where it goes over the axle. Yours may be contacting there and making that "squeak" noise as you put it. I would definitely check this out as well before doing anything more involved labor wise.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
    Did you check the rear u-joint ? Depending what you're greasing will depend on the grease.

U-joints will last with a high temp, high pressure style grease, the best choice would also be a marine grade syn grease (Lucas), while ball joints will be fine with a regular grease, bushings made of rubber you never use a oil based grease but a silicone base

I didn't grease the u-joint yet, but I will. I wish I would have gotten the silicone grease from UMI when I got my suspension parts. I am using a non lithium, aluminum base Extreme Pressure grease from Amsoil. They sell this stuff to the fire depts for there fire trucks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I don't think it's been said, but when you lower your car, your exhaust gets really close to the upper pan hard bar support where it goes over the axle. Yours may be contacting there and making that "squeak" noise as you put it. I would definitely check this out as well before doing anything more involved labor wise.

You know, I was actually thinking the exhaust might be a factor. I will definitely check it out. So if it is rubbing I will have to have a shop make custom pipes, I guess. Thanks for the input. I will post what I find.

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

i had a parrot stuck in my torque bar. drove through the amazon lately?
    2001 B4C Totaled 4/25/11
    2000 Z28 M6 Cammed N' Slammed (SVT KLR)

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

My noise still hasn't been pin pointed. Any time I drive over 80 mph it will Squeek. When I decelerate it goes away. It also squeaks when I go wot. It seems to be getting worse. It is coming from the trunk. I greased everything and tightened everything. I didn't re tighten the bolts on the top of my rear shocks, should I check those? Should I just replace my torque arm for n adjustable and a relo bracket?

Thread Information