Midnight Blue Metalic
    2000 SS

New clutch problem.

I just had a my old clutch replaced do to slipping. I had a SLP flywheel, Spec stage 2+, and new slave cylinder installed. My car was at the shop for a 7 days due to a disengagement problem once the parts were installed. When I come to a stop with the car in first or reverse with the clutch pedal to the floor it won't completely disengage unless I take it out of gear. The car will shudder and slowly creep forward or reverse. It is also hard as hell to get it in to reverse and I've lost some of my clutch travel. The shop said they bled the system several times and want me to drive it for about a week to see if the problem clears up. So far 60 miles and no luck. Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong?

BLACK
    97 Camaro SS

Hey Vudu
    I put a Spec clutch in my brothers '02 Ram Air and it came with a spacer that had to be installed behind the throw out bearing with a note from Spec that specifically said what your complaining about would happen if the spacer was not installed. Seems the travel on the throwout bearing isn't sufficient to totally disengage the pressure plate with out the spacer.

It was approx 1/16th thick and was the shape of the bearing.

Hope that helps.

Midnight Blue Metalic
    2000 SS

Ordered an adjustable master cylinder last night, I hope this will solve the problem. Is the spacer your talking about the one that goes behind the slave cylinder?

BLACK
    97 Camaro SS

Well the ls1 stlye 6 speed's don't have a slave cylinder. only the LT1 does. The LS1 uses a hydraulic throwout bearing. The bearing expands as hydraulic fluid is pushed into it as you push down on the pedal.

The diagram that came with the clutch appeared that the bearing couldn't push the pressure plate far enough even at full extension of the bearing, so a spacer, or shim was provided. Basiclly it's a donut shaped plate about 16th in thick that goes behind the throwout bearing giving it that much more distance to fully disengage the clutch.

I'm not sure what an adjustable master cylinder will give you since Spec seems to indicate the problem is with the bearing allready being at full extension and still not enough to completly release the p-plate.

The only difference in your case is you have the SLP flywheel, We kept the stock one. Unless theres a difference in the thickness of SLP's flywheel and it's causing the problem, I dont see how an adjustable unit up top is going to help.

good luck

Midnight Blue Metalic
    2000 SS

Ls1's do have a slave cylinder, I had one installed three years ago, and another one recently. Ordered this one from a dealer.

Thread Information