Need help purchasing 4.10s

I'm ready now to purcahse a set of 4.10's and I've been looking online for an all in one package... but I keep seeing different places advertise different special parts depending on what you have. I have no idea what kind of differential I have, other then its 3.42 in ratio. I have ABS and traction control, an M6 and its a 1996 dual cat LT1 trans am. Id like to retain both ABS and traction control. I would like to go SLP route simply because they have the most literature on whats needed, and they have a shop about an hour south of me so if i need to bust balls about warrenty work they are right here. i want the 4.10's, anything and everything required for thier install including fluids, bolts gaskets you name it, and a rear girdle to help add some support in the rear since i cant afford a 12 bolt in the near future.

SLP says this in thier description of thier 4.10 kit:
    "4.10 Gear Sets Require Paddle-Pin Kit (Part #64002) to complete installation on vehicles equipped with a Zexel-Torsen differential"

Do I fall under this category?

They also say this:
    "Please check your stock differential prior to purchasing, as some applications will require a reluctor ring for proper installation. To help you complete your gear ratio swap on your 7.5" differential*, SLP now has available the reluctor ring to retain your ABS operation. No longer will you have to search the dealership shelves looking for this ring. SLP has them!

* Only needed when changing from a 2-series carrier "

Do I fall under that aswell? I have no idea what a series carrier is, i was told a few months ago but i long forgot, and really could care less... i only need to know for the application of what parts i NEED to get. I dont think I NEED to change my differential, nor would I want to to save money and hassle, but must I to change over to 4.10?

Other then those 3 parts, I'll be getting the fluid, gm limited slip adder fluid and the aluminum girdle for the back. they "suggest" i get the installation kit aswell for the 4.10's which i was going to get anyway so the garage doing the install wont bitch that they are missing parts and delay the install. its my only car so i want everything available for minimal downtown.

I was also concidering getting a new driveshaft, but i need info. i dont need the best of the best, but i'd like something smoother and stronger then stock. and i'm only concidering it at this point, and only because i think that it would be a pretty fast operation to do if they are already having to install gears which would save me money in the long run if i decided to do it later. labors nearly $100 hour around here so even if i can save them 15 minutes its worth it. i'm having headers installed soon and i'll be having the plugs and wires replaced jsut because it will save me loads of money since its a 10 minute job with the manifolds off

PS I neglected to mention my clutch is on its way out so I'll be having a new clutch put in, spec stage 2 (unless someone suggests different) and having the tranny flushed and refilled while i'm at it. all this is going to be done with the gear install to save money/time.

Gear Questions *link from Anything Goes*

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...190#post133190

Forgot there was a specific forum just for this. Please read, I'd like to order the parts in the next 2 weeks so the sooner the better.

Interceptor
    you will have a 3 series carrier in your car. 3.42 and numerically higher have a 3 series. and 3.23 and numerically lower have a 2 series.

So that rules out the reluctor ring, but what about the paddle kit?

92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

i strongly recommend getting GM gears.

99 Firebird Formula

No offense man, but almost every question you have is covered in the Rear End FAQ at the very top of the drivetrain page.

99 Firebird Formula

No offense man, but almost every question you have is covered in the Rear End FAQ at the very top of the drivetrain page.

Well no, it doesnt. Someone already mentioned about the series carrier and that rules out the reluctor ring, but I still have all the remaining questions if anyones willing to take the time to answer directly. It says whats in the paddle kit, and what its for, but I still have no idea from that article whether I need it or not. It says what a differential is, but doesnt tell me if I have a Zexel-Torsen differential or not, or how to find out. Thats all I'm asking. The reamining questions are about the clutch and driveshaft so...

99 Firebird Formula

It mentions in the FAQ that you need to contact the manufacturer that you are buying them from to see if you need a paddle kit or not. I used motive 4.10s and didn't need one in a 3 series carrier.

I don't know if there is an RPO for the carrier or not. Just pull off the rear cover and look at the differential. If it has a paddle in the middle its a torsen. If theres an axle pin it will be an auburn (it also has yellow springs in it).

There is no way to tell otherwise, such as by the door codes or anything?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

thread merged

Thread Information