Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

MWC Rear has arrived!

After grenading the 10-bolt, I decided to go bulletproof. Ordered the rear in August and I have to say, it was worth the wait! Went and picked up my MidWest Chassis Fab 9" from the FedEx dock today and started the install tonight. I'll post more pics along the way, but this is what sat in the truck all day while I had to work.

They crated this thing up like Fort Knox! I'll post up some pics tomorrow- didn't get it in until tonight so night pics with an iPhone don't work all that well!

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

congrats man..thats a beautiful piece..
    post pix when your done
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Bright Red

Still working on getting it installed- been a long weekend with my youngest daughter's birthday and haivng to work on Sunday but I'm finishing it up tomorrow as long as the driveshaft shows up.

I will say this thing is one badass work of art. I really can't say enough good about it so far. The quality of the welds is amazing.

Things I wish I'd done differently:
    1. Installed the brakes with the rear out of the car. I tried to avoid taking lines loose and you have to take them loose at the calipers (also wish I'd ordered stainless brake lines!)

2. Ordred the full length torque arm- the LSXtreme merge is huge and hits the brace on the bottom of the driveshaft loop. I'm doing some modifications to make it work. This has nothing to do with MWC's design- I'm sure it works with most other y-pipes.

I'll have some pics of it installed tomorrow. No pics of the install process since I'm having to do all my work at night. I've taken off work tomorrow just to get this installed and start the break in. Hopefully the driveshaft will get here so I can get this thing on the ground!
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Red
    2001 ws6

"Things I wish I'd done differently:
    1. Installed the brakes with the rear out of the car. I tried to avoid taking lines loose and you have to take them loose at the calipers "

why? you should just zip tie them up outta the way

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by Rk ws6 View Post
    why? you should just zip tie them up outta the way
    You do not re-use the brackets from the bottom of the lower control arm that the brake line goes through. You have to take the line loose from the rubber line in order to take it loose from the bracket and feed it into the bracket that's welded on the new rear. I had already zip-tied them out of the way until the new rear was set up in there but taking it loose and hooking it all back up with the rear up in the car and brake fluid dripping was a pain.

Red
    2001 ws6

huh lol that rear must be different cause when i put my moser 9inch in i didnt come across that =X

Bright Red

I'm thinking I might fab up a set of stainless brake lines- made a set on my Nova a few years back and the stock lines are really an eyesore...

Hopefully the driveshaft will arrive tomorrow- I have to have this car on the road on Wednesday so if all else fails I can use the adapter ujoint, but I do not look forward to replacing that stock ujoint and that damn nylon adhesive. Got everything ready- all the line zipped up, flipped fuel line brackets (y-pipe was way too close!), rear full of fluid, pinion angle set, bolts tightened down, brakes bled... tools picked up and put away.

Just need to stick the driveshaft in, fill the trans, and start the break in.

Red
    2001 ws6

hell yea man enjoy

Bright Red

PST driveshaft arrived today! Installed, tightened everything down, checked fluids and started the initial break in. 15 mins, less than 30 mph and then park for an hour and let it cool- did that five times. Took all night but I've finally finished! Taking it in tomorrow morning for an alignment- had to replace the rack and pinion as well so my alignment is WAY off!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Congrats. What gear did you get?

Bright Red

Went with the 4.11. Cruising speed on the interstate put the RPMs over 2k and I got about 22mpg- down a little from the 3.73 but I expected it from the 9". The solid adj LCA's help you feel every bump in the road and the fact that the LSXtreme Y is wedged between the x-member and the driveshaft loop probably doesn't help much. The ride takes a little getting used to so I turned up the radio a little more. I'm sure if you wanted a less harsh ride you could stick with the stock style or tubular LCAs with poly bushings and the long torque arm.

Hands down the best mod I've done. Period. 370 miles on the break in- 130 to go!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea I noticed the same thing with my 9"

Bright Red

From what I've read the 9", in all it's heavy duty strength comes at the expense of requiring more power to turn. The HP loss from Crank to RW is greater with a 9" than a 12-bolt, but less than that of a Dana60. Personally, it's worth it to me. To know that I have a rear that's built like a tank makes me feel better when I hit second gear hard (which is how I split the last one!).

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The efficiency loss is 3% going from a 10 bolt to a 12 bolt and another 3% going from a 12 bolt to a 9"....that's what i read in GM High Performance.

Bright Red

That's not bad at all. I can live with a 6% loss... just have to compensate for it when I builld the motor!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I was hoping for some more pics of the rearend by now (not just pics of the box)

Bright Red

I know - where the hell is this slacker with his camera?
    Oh....

I'm going to go crawl under the car now and take a couple of pics. When I get it back on jackstands this weekend to change out the break-in fluid I'll get a few more pics.

Bright Red

Time for the bad pics- better pics this weekend. Sorry, lying on my back in the parking lot while students are changing classes forced me to move quickly.

New center cap decals:

View from in front of the driver's rear tire:

View from behind passenger tire:

I get some better pics this weekend.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Thumbs up

crappy pics...yes.

But I still like them

Bright Red

Yeah, now that I look at those again they really are crappy pics! I promise- I'm going to reach the 500 mile break-in point by Saturday so I'll put it back up in the air to change the fluid, check the bolts and re-check the pinion angle. I'll snap off some better pics with a real camera.

Thread Information