Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Motive, Richmond, or SLP

I want to put in some 4.10's in my car, it's a 6 speed.. Motive, Richmond, and SLP are all within $30 of eachother, so which one is better?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    I want to put in some 4.10's in my car, it's a 6 speed.. Motive, Richmond, and SLP are all within $30 of eachother, so which one is better?
    The gears from SLP will be made by Motive. In my experience, they are both good.

You are gonna have so much fun with a set of 4:10's!!

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Yeah I'm looking forward to it! So how exactly will these be an improvement?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Yeah I'm looking forward to it! So how exactly will these be an improvement?
    It will improve your acceleration and keep your engine more in its powerband. 6th gear will be way more usefull. You will almost always be in the right gear

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh ok cool.. i can't wait to get em in.. probably will order them in the next couple of days.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Stay away from Richmond whatever you do. They will whine like crazy. Motive/SLP gears are a little noisy but not nearly the level of Richmond. Take my word for it and buy GM gears if you go with 4:10's. They are more expensive but worth it. They are stronger and quieter than any aftermarket gear you can buy. I know from experience. Also superior makes good gears.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Stay away from Richmond whatever you do. They will whine like crazy. Motive/SLP gears are a little noisy but not nearly the level of Richmond. Take my word for it and buy GM gears if you go with 4:10's. They are more expensive but worth it. They are stronger and quieter than any aftermarket gear you can buy. I know from experience. Also superior makes good gears.
    Thats an opinion. It's all in the install and setup.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Thats an opinion. It's all in the install and setup.

Find me a set of Richmonds in a 10 blt that are quiet and I'll give you $1000. They are noisy gears. Thats a fact not an opinion. GM gears are quieter. I have used Superiors, Motives, Richmonds and GM's. How many sets of gears have you had in a 10 bolt rear?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Find me a set of Richmonds in a 10 blt that are quiet and I'll give you $1000. They are noisy gears. Thats a fact not an opinion. GM gears are quieter. I have used Superiors, Motives, Richmonds and GM's. How many sets of gears have you had in a 10 bolt rear?
    Come to Pa and get ready to pay up!

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Genuine GM gears
    http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=gm0e410|0

I set Richmonds up all the time for people,,,come on over and lets go for a ride. I prefer cash only

black
    2000 ta ws6

how long before those 4.10 gears break in the 10 bolt rear end,stock 2000 ta,running M?T street slicks

Quote Originally Posted by FastTaz View Post
    how long before those 4.10 gears break in the 10 bolt rear end,stock 2000 ta,running M?T street slicks
    Okay I'll answer. Other gear manufactures may have different break in procedures. I use Richmond exclusively and they recommend to jack the car up and run the car in gear (no load on the rear) for so many miles/minutes and then stop. Let the rearend completely cool for several hours,,,,then I usually do this a second time.

After that I drive the car and put light loads on the rearend only for several miles,,,,then another cool down.

After that it's ready to rock and roll.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    It will improve your acceleration and keep your engine more in its powerband. 6th gear will be way more usefull. You will almost always be in the right gear
    How will this help for an automatic? I have 3.73 ready to go and am just looking forward to experiencing them. Any opinions.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    How will this help for an automatic? I have 3.73 ready to go and am just looking forward to experiencing them. Any opinions.
    It will help alot. I am not real into the Autos, but I think a stall would compliment it alot.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Okay I'll answer. Other gear manufactures may have different break in procedures. I use Richmond exclusively and they recommend to jack the car up and run the car in gear (no load on the rear) for so many miles/minutes and then stop. Let the rearend completely cool for several hours,,,,then I usually do this a second time.

After that I drive the car and put light loads on the rearend only for several miles,,,,then another cool down.

After that it's ready to rock and roll.

I think he meant how long until they actually break, not break in.

I think he meant how long until they actually break, not break in.
    Oh,,,,LOL,,,,well in that case,,,,I don't put much faith in these 7.5 inch 10 bolts no matter what gear you install,,,,they are all ticking time bombs. Biggest mistake GM made with these cars.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Motives!!!
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Okay let me clarify my statement. Richmonds can be set up to run quietly, but they wont stay that way. A few decent launches and they will get noisier and noisier. I had 2 sets in my black WS.6 and after install and for a few weeks they were quiet as could be. A few launches at the track on drag radials and they whined like a bitch. And they were properly broken in. Now in a 9", 12 bolt or even Ford 8.8" Richmonds are great but in our rears they tend to be the noisiest gears avialable.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Okay let me clarify my statement. Richmonds can be set up to run quietly, but they wont stay that way. A few decent launches and they will get noisier and noisier. I had 2 sets in my black WS.6 and after install and for a few weeks they were quiet as could be. A few launches at the track on drag radials and they whined like a bitch. And they were properly broken in. Now in a 9", 12 bolt or even Ford 8.8" Richmonds are great but in our rears they tend to be the noisiest gears avialable.
    Your gears were not properly set up.

Thread Information