Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Motive 4.10s whine alot when between 50-70mph!!!

Are the motive gears suppose to brake in about 500 miles b4 then quite down abit because these gears whine alot and is very loud when maintaining speed at 50-70 but around 65-70 it's the loudest... Will it quiet down is is there something wrong with my gears?????

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

my motive 4.10 gears never quietened down. you can have the backlash rechecked, but it most likely won't do any good. it's the way the teeth are cut.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Are GM gears quieter??? Sucks that my motives are so loud... i wish their was a way to quiet em down...

99 Firebird Formula

Motives = GM.

Noise in a rear end will never get quieter, it will either stay the same or get worse. Motives are some of the quietest gears you can buy, so if they are making noise there's a good chance that they were set up wrong (too little backlash, too much heel/toe on the pinion etc).

If you've been on it 500 miles and the noise hasn't gotten worse, it will probably be okay...either learn to live with it or look into getting a new ring & pinion and doing the install all over again.

I have the motive 4.10s and my rear is super quiet compared to the richmonds that I installed in my bf's formula.

Yea i havent hit the 500 mile mark yet... Just corssed about 250 on the gears and when i crossed 100miles is when they started makin noise... We'll im going to go back to the place and have them take a look at it and see what they say!

99 Firebird Formula

Ha. I installed mine and drove straight to the track

I just can't wait when it comes to installing stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    Ha. I installed mine and drove straight to the track

I just can't wait when it comes to installing stuff like that.
    I dont blame you.... I've ran the car hard abunch of times already...Just hate that damn whine!!!

Well the whine has been dyin down abit but i didnt notice that it definatly isnt backlash where the problem... So it needs to be checked to make sure the heel and toe is the way it should be.... Last time i looked in there, there was 100 miles on the gears the the wear on em was perfect does this matter??? or have anything to do with backlash or heel and toe?

2002 camaro 3.8

just incase you guys are interested I got a friend that works at a chevy dealership and he told me when they order a gearset from GM it comes out as an ordnary Motive Gear box so yeah GM uses them from the factory.

Crytal Red Tint Coat
    2013 SS Camaro Covertible

There is a problem with the 10 bolt rear ends. They just can't handle the torque of the LS1, especially after you make more power than stock. Mine kept whining. I had problems with keeping the pinion bearing tight. Every time I would set up the rear correctly it was fine for a while, but it soon began to make noise. I finally bought a Moser and have had no more problems!
    Last edited by Deeavi; 03-02-2006 at 03:34 AM.
    2013 Camaro SS Convertible, Whipple Supercharger, Kooks Coated 1 7/8" headers, CAI Cold air induction
    http://s33.photobucket.com/user/Deea...?sort=3&page=1

So your saying it's my 10bolt thats making the gears whine excessivle??? Is that bad that they do whine or just annoying??

red/black
    97 Firebird

Problem I see with them is 2 things
    1. when you get that steep of a ratio in diameter of a ring gear thats that small
    the pinion gear is cut differently to get it all to fit.
    2. most people dont break in the gears properly.
    Heres a trick I learned many years ago.
    Place car on jack stands with both rear tires on and ease it into 2nd or 3rd and let it idle for about 20-30 minutes.
    then do your normal break in of light loads off and on the throttle(light punch and coast,as its called).
    I dont think that a 4.10 or steeper in a 7-5/8 rear is that good of a choice myself.

GM Service Advisor

Black
    2002 Pontiac T/A Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD
    Are the motive gears suppose to brake in about 500 miles b4 then quite down abit because these gears whine alot and is very loud when maintaining speed at 50-70 but around 65-70 it's the loudest... Will it quiet down is is there something wrong with my gears?????
    I know how you feel, mine were very loud with my SLP LCA's on that transmitted ALL of the noise ot of the rear end through the chassis so I put the stock ones back on. It was better, or I should say nearly tolerable, but it still bugs me. I switched to Amsoil Extreme Pressure 90W-140 diff oil and it is no different. My car also has the TA girdle with stud kit...and...I had them installed at the Cadillac-Pontiac dealer where I work by a very experienced technician. The good news is after approx 1500 miles it hasn't gotten any worse.

99 Firebird Formula

IMO the gears were set up wrong, very simple...My motives were very quiet for quite some time. They only got louder after going to the track a million times.

GM Service Advisor

Black
    2002 Pontiac T/A Firehawk

Quite honestly...I agree with you. Hopefully I will get a 12 bolt nextime.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW THE PERSON PUT EM IN.... IF THERE NOT ALLIGNED AS WELL THEY WILL WIND N WIND LIKE AN EFFIN BANSHEE BUT IF THEY PUT IN GOOD THEN ITS NOT BAD AT ALL........I WOULD CHECK IT OUT CUZ IF ITS THAT BAD THEN THEY PROB DIDNT DO SUMTIN RIGHT AND THEY MIGHT EVENTUALLY BREAK....DID THE GUY SEEM TO KNOW WHAT HE WAS TALKIN BOUT WHEN HE INSTALLED THEM OR DID U DO IT URSELF??

Thread Information