Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

Moser 9" problem

I just installed my Moser 9" in my 2001 TA with an M6 and UMI suspension pieces (tq arm, lower control arms, and panhard bar).

Here is the issue, I am getting a high pitched whine coming from both wheel areas, sounds like the brakes are rubbing or something like that, (I put new caliper brakets on, that had the pre installed parking brake set up all ready to go instead of using the old worn out ones on the 10 bolt, I dont know if thats the issue or not. My other problem is that my ABS light is staying on as well.

Lastly my final Moser issue, all of a sudden I am getting a shuddering shifting from gear to gear, when ever I go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd it will stutter like its going to stall but its not in the engine its in the drivetrain, the engine will stay above 1200rpm and does not budge but i get a lot of stuttering.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you transfer the reluctor rings from your old axles to the new?

Stupid question, but is there gear oil in the rear?

If the brakes are dragging, the center area of your wheels will get noticeably hot to the touch. Is there sufficient slack in your parking brake cable?

Did you adjust your pinion angle with the new rear?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

As far as the ABS issue, make sure you have all of the wiring connected securely and also check for a pinched wire.

I ended up pinching a wire by accident on my Moser 9" and it caused the ABS light to trigger.

Of course, as Jeff mentioned, no reluctor ring or possibly not pressing the reluctor ring on properly could also set off the ABS as this is what the wheel speed sensor is monitoring.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    As far as the ABS issue, make sure you have all of the wiring connected securely and also check for a pinched wire.

I ended up pinching a wire by accident on my Moser 9" and it caused the ABS light to trigger.

Of course, as Jeff mentioned, no reluctor ring or possibly not pressing the reluctor ring on properly could also set off the ABS as this is what the wheel speed sensor is monitoring.
    Its got the fluid in, and had a reluctor installed directly from moser on the carrier. I am thinking the sensor might be bad as far as the ABS goes. Also its a 3 channel so I dont have the wheel speed sensors just the single reluctor at the top of the axle housing.

Also whats a good way to adjust the parking brake cable, I put in new backing plates with new parking brake shoes and I am thinking that may have something to do with the noise, but everything I read says 01 and later are self adjusting and you need to just run the lever through a few times, or am I missing something?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The cable is adjusted by fully engaging the parking brake handle 3-4 times in a row. I would simply check to make sure that things are not gunked or rusted up causing them to drag. The rubber boot on the backing plate deteriorates and allows water and dirt to enter the parking brake mechanism.

Black

Well, I floated that ABS sensor cable in from a SS camaro, still got an ABS light, pulled the sensor and cleaned it as well.

Do you guys thing I could grind that thing a lil bit? I am not sure if there is a tolerance between the sensor and the reluctor wheel for the abs?

Also I found out the noise, it was coming from the metal tabs that the brake pads slide about on. the center part of it was making contact on the top of the rotor.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Why would you grind it?

Black

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Why would you grind it?
    That's what the guys at moser suggested, they said it could be a clearance issue between the reluctor and the sensor.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm sure there is a tolerance of some sorts, but I really have no idea what that might be. I'm trying to recall how close my sensor was to my reluctor ring...

So Moser is saying that if the sensor is too close, it would cause an ABS light? So they are suggesting to grind it back some to create more clearance?

Or are you grinding to get the sensor closer?

Sorry, just trying to understand.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Take a flashlight and a mirror and see if the reluctor ring is lined up with the hole in the housing.

Thread Information