1 12.50%
  • tired of all the stupid rearend questions

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

moser 9" or dana 60 and why?

OK, Within the next week I am going to buy my new rearend. 12 bolt is out of the question. Should I go with the Moser 9" with 35 spline axles, aluminum center, and detroit locker or go with the Strange Dana 60 with 33 spline axles detroit locker? Both choices I will be putting in 4.30 gears.
    Moser 9" is a tad cheaper (buy about $100) and if I buy the Strange Dana 60 I'll need to shorten my driveshaft or buy a new one which will add about another 2-$300.
    My car is a weekend warrior not a daily driver and will see track time once in awhile. I will add a cam and intake later down the road as well as a dyno tune. See a list of my mods I allready have. I don't see myself having anything more than 450-500 Hp after all is said and done. Thanks
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Moser 9" is plenty strong enough, its cheaper, you won't have to modify the driveshaft either. I really don't see why you are debating yourself, the answer is pretty easy.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    99 SS

there is absolutly no need for the S60, its way to much overkill IMO, I love my 9"

and why is the 12 bolt out of the question?? that might be the best for your application and what you want to do with your car.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    there is absolutly no need for the S60, its way to much overkill IMO, I love my 9"

and why is the 12 bolt out of the question?? that might be the best for your application and what you want to do with your car.
    the 12 bolt has a smaller ring gear, more expensive, and with the f-body torque arm mount with a 6 speed they develop a nasty howl in the gears after a few launches. The 9" and Dana are far stronger rear ends. I like the 9" because it is much easier to change out the third member if you want to. don't get me wrong the 12 bolt is a good rear end, I have one in my 71 SS elcamino, however with the torque arm mount and 6 speed, they are not near as suited to our cars than the 9".
    "I recommend the 9 inch rear for the higher horsepowered cars, and for those who have a manual transmission. Here is why.
    Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I think the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing." Exotic Performance Plus. and I have herd this from countless other people as well.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 10-05-2007 at 08:04 AM.

Black
    99 SS

the 60's are doing the same thing, warping the ring gear cause of the TQ arm mount placement. thats why i went with the 9" but if you dont see track times much then i dont think the 12 bolt is a bad option, and the reason it howls is cause the person or company setting it up is setting it up with a lot of play and is sloppy

i loved my 12 bolt in my 1970 Chevelle also

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

the 60's are doing the same thing, warping the ring gear cause of the TQ arm mount placement. thats why i went with the 9" but if you dont see track times much then i dont think the 12 bolt is a bad option, and the reason it howls is cause the person or company setting it up is setting it up with a lot of play and is sloppy

i loved my 12 bolt in my 1970 Chevelle also
    The company Exotic was refering to was Moser, that is all they sell. My buddy who did my gears in my 10 bolt has worked at differential shops for years told me the same thing. He told me the exact same thing with my 10 bolt. It was quiet until I took it to the track a few times. Now you can hear it a little bit and he has done litterally thousands of gear changes.
    Like I said before, Nothing against the 12 bolt, however I think the 9" or Dana 60 is more suited to our cars especially one with a 6 speed.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 10-05-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Black
    99 SS

yea i bought and still buy all my stuff off Bob at EPP..

huh my 10 bolt never made any noise what so ever and it prolly had 50 or more track passes on with my MT ET radials on it.

yea i agree about the 9" and the S60 but can only get the S60 from strange.

and i hear they still have a 5 week Back order, have you heard that also?

here is what i went with,

Moser 9" 35 splines, full spool, alum center section, and it weighs 7 lbs less then a 12 bolt, lol and I paid i think 2,300 shipped

pie
    free

How much power is the 9" reliable up to? I read somewhere only 600 hp...

Black
    99 SS

no way, I have seen 8.5" ten bolts hold well beyond that much power, hell i dont know how much HP the OHIO BOYS are making in the turbo camaro, but they hold the record now for stock suspension car ino the MID 7's and it has a 9" just like mine I think my 9" will hold up to or past 1,000 hp. i know the 31 splines hold 600 im not sure though

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by DanWS6 View Post
    How much power is the 9" reliable up to? I read somewhere only 600 hp...
    Hey Dan,
    I just custom ordered mine just now through someone on e-bay, They beat Exotic performance plus by $300 it will be here by wendsday or thurday next week.
    I got the 9" with Motive Performance 4.30 gears, 35 spline moser axles, Detroit locker, Aluminum Strange third member case, Exciter rings installed, set up for 4 channel, Drain and Fill plug, and all new timken bearings, all for $2600 shipped to my door. they said it will be good for up to at least 900hp if not more.

Black
    99 SS

dayum that is one hell of a deal cant beat that man

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

dayum that is one hell of a deal cant beat that man
    Ya, I beat him up a little bit and beat the prices Bob gave me. and killed the price Moser quoted me by over $600

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I am selling my 10 bolt in the classified section. It is a rebuilt 10 bolt with Motive 3.90's that was swapped out 1500 miles ago with a master rebuild kit. Selling for $600. Check out the classifed section for more info.

I thought the S60 was a direct bolt in replacement, how can that be if you need to shorten the driveshaft? I'm seriously considering this rear once I finally replace the 10 bolt but not if I have to monkey around with the driveshaft.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I thought the S60 was a direct bolt in replacement, how can that be if you need to shorten the driveshaft? I'm seriously considering this rear once I finally replace the 10 bolt but not if I have to monkey around with the driveshaft.
    I was seriously going to buy one however it's a little more of a pain in the ass to do. Yes you need to shorten your drive shaft by 1.5" and get a new larger u-joint. or buy a custom one through Strange for $290. + you have to send in your backing plates and exciter rings to be put onto your new rear end or buy new ones for another $300. + strange has a 4-5 week backorder on them. so for the hassle of getting one, The extra $600-700 I would have spent to get it all done, I said screw it and went with the 9". It will hold up just as well for the HP #'s I will put down, it's cheaper, lighter, and easier to work on if you ever decided to change out the third member for any reason.

pie
    free

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Hey Dan,
    I just custom ordered mine just now through someone on e-bay, They beat Exotic performance plus by $300 it will be here by wendsday or thurday next week.
    I got the 9" with Motive Performance 4.30 gears, 35 spline moser axles, Detroit locker, Aluminum Strange third member case, Exciter rings installed, set up for 4 channel, Drain and Fill plug, and all new timken bearings, all for $2600 shipped to my door. they said it will be good for up to at least 900hp if not more.
    Good deal. I'll probably be doing something similar in the spring. My 10 bolt has taken about 10 launches at 3500 rpm.. not sure how much longer it'll take that abuse.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Bob at EPP told me that even the 31 spline (TrueTrac diff) will hold plenty of power.
    Plenty of 650-700 HP cars running around without problems he said.
    Mine is that one. $2300 shipped.

Sold my stock rearend for $325.

pie
    free

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Bob at EPP told me that even the 31 spline (TrueTrac diff) will hold plenty of power.
    Plenty of 650-700 HP cars running around without problems he said.
    Mine is that one. $2300 shipped.

Sold my stock rearend for $325.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by DanWS6 View Post
    Go blow up your rearend...

pie
    free

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Go blow up your rearend...
    Then I couldn't drive anywhere.

Thread Information