Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods

Schurke

Cool Mods

Who has the best replacement rear-end assembly? Strange or Moser?
    Needs to be relatively quiet & direct bolt in with very little fabrication.
    9" or 12 bolt? Currently planning on 4:10 gears.
    Any suggestions/experiences regarding sub-frame connectors, LCA's, etc.
    Thx

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Auto or M6?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I have a moser 9" case with 35 spline axles, a Strange Pro Nodular third member with Motive Performance 4.30 Gears and a Detroit Locker. I would diffenately recomend a 9" especially with a 6 speed. + they are cheaper, easier to work on, and stronger than a 12 bolt.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Schurke
    I have a M6.

Schurke
    Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    I have a moser 9" case with 35 spline axles, a Strange Pro Nodular third member with Motive Performance 4.30 Gears and a Detroit Locker. I would diffenately recomend a 9" especially with a 6 speed. + they are cheaper, easier to work on, and stronger than a 12 bolt.
    Thx for the reply.
    Have heard/read that Moser 9" is noisy compared to the 12 Bolt. A friend of mine just recently switched from the Moser to a Strange assembly because of excessive noise. They chgd all of the internals & could not eliminate the whine. The Strange assembly is quiet. No whine, etc. Have you had any problems with excessive noise?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

My moser 9 is not noisy. Locker is much louder than any sound comming from back there. Everything bolted right in. Had to use a little ingenuity with the parking brake brackets but easy swap still. Biggest problem I had is for some reason it raised the ass a little higher.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by schurke View Post
    Thx for the reply.
    Have heard/read that Moser 9" is noisy compared to the 12 Bolt. A friend of mine just recently switched from the Moser to a Strange assembly because of excessive noise. They chgd all of the internals & could not eliminate the whine. The Strange assembly is quiet. No whine, etc. Have you had any problems with excessive noise?
    Man what ever you do don't buy a 12 bolt with a 6 speed. The oposite is true. The torque arm mount on the 12 bolt is not very good causing the houseing to flex and causing gear wine. The 9" is built much better.

I will quote Bob at EPP.

"Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting. "

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

my 9" is only noisy because I have a Detroit Locker. I have Motive Performance gears and they are nice and quiet. Another piece of advise is don't buy Richmond gears they whine like your ex-girlfriend and annoy the hell out of you.

Buy a 9" with a detroit true-trac and you will be nice and happy.

Schurke
    Gentlemen,
    Thx for the info.
    Which brand LCA & Torque Arm do you suggest?

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Gentlemen,
    Thx for the info.
    Which brand LCA & Torque Arm do you suggest?
    I have Bmr lca's and panhard bar. I have an edlebrock T.A.
    Sphon makes a great T.A. its a little pricey and it is a hard mount and is much shorter than the stock one.. They are more for drag racing and have a loop built in. You'll get some clunk and some weird handleing caricteristics with it on the street.

Myself I went with a Trans mount T.A. because mine is a double duty car Street/strip. The longer the T.A. is the better streetability you'll have.

Main thing to buy is Sub frame connectors. One of the first mods anyone should do.

Schurke
    Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    I have Bmr lca's and panhard bar. I have an edlebrock T.A.
    Sphon makes a great T.A. its a little pricey and it is a hard mount and is much shorter than the stock one.. They are more for drag racing and have a loop built in. You'll get some clunk and some weird handleing caricteristics with it on the street.

Myself I went with a Trans mount T.A. because mine is a double duty car Street/strip. The longer the T.A. is the better streetability you'll have.

Main thing to buy is Sub frame connectors. One of the first mods anyone should do.
    Sub-frames will be the first purchase. Trying to determine who has the best unit for the money. SLP subs seem to have the best support design but will interfere with later additions.
    I'm doing the same thing you have done---multi-purpose car. Show, cruise & occasional pass at the local drag strip.
    I appreciate the input.

You mentioned that a longer T.A. improves streetability. How so?

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I went with these, and it's been awesome. Its just harder to jack my car up now, but Hopefully I won't have to do that much.

http://www.lmperformance.com/526/.html

Schurke
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I went with these, and it's been awesome. Its just harder to jack my car up now, but Hopefully I won't have to do that much.

http://www.lmperformance.com/526/.html
    Thx for the info.
    Do you have the tubular or boxed?

2000 C5 Torch Red

I went with the Boxed. They fit in perfectly.

2000 C5 Torch Red

This is the only pic I have of the operation

Schurke
    Any noticeable chg in the ride?
    What size tires are you running?

2000 C5 Torch Red

Yes, I notice quite a big difference on my m6. The takeoff from stop is much firmer, and handling has improved.

The Those beefy boys on back are 315/35/17 sumitomo's atm.

I haven't removed the bump stops on the back, and with the subframe connectors, my car has become a pain in the ass to jack up. If I try to lift at one of the sfc's it will lift one whole side of my car now and not just the one tire. That should tell you how firm it's made my car.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

thank me later. great new product. check it out. very educational.

http://www.powertvonline.com/user_vi...l.php?mId=2901

2000 C5 Torch Red

Thats so awesome!

I've been looking at the Moser 9" for a little while, and haven't seen that yet. It's probably out of my price range a little

M9 Bolt-in Complete Street Application - $2999.99
    http://www.powerhouseperformance.ca/...products_id=78

Moser 9” Bolt-In Housing - GM ‘F’ Body - $899.99
    http://www.powerhouseperformance.ca/...roducts_id=197

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Sub-frames will be the first purchase. Trying to determine who has the best unit for the money. SLP subs seem to have the best support design but will interfere with later additions.
    I'm doing the same thing you have done---multi-purpose car. Show, cruise & occasional pass at the local drag strip.
    I appreciate the input.

You mentioned that a longer T.A. improves streetability. How so?
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63751 Look at this thread!!

Thread Information