Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Midwest Chassis 9"

I purchased my car with a Midwest Chassis 9" rearend already installed in it. I never take it to the track and very rarely boil down the tires, yet, here recently, when I go slowly around a corner, a horrendous racket comes from underneath the car, but only when the clutch is out and in gear. Has anyone else with a Midwest Chassis 9" rearend ever experienced this? I thought 9" rearends were supposed to be bulletproof??? If I abused the car, I would understand, but I baby it. Help!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I purchased my car with a Midwest Chassis 9" rearend already installed in it. I never take it to the track and very rarely boil down the tires, yet, here recently, when I go slowly around a corner, a horrendous racket comes from underneath the car, but only when the clutch is out and in gear. Has anyone else with a Midwest Chassis 9" rearend ever experienced this? I thought 9" rearends were supposed to be bulletproof??? If I abused the car, I would understand, but I baby it. Help!
    just because it makes a racket doesn't mean its weak or going all the time...id call up midwest and let them know
    also look around the rear and driveshaft...there could be something making contact or bushings could be worn out.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Do you even know what it has? spool, locker, tt? I would guess the sound is either a locker or a spool.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Klug23 View Post
    Do you even know what it has? spool, locker, tt? I would guess the sound is either a locker or a spool.
    oh shit....great catch! if ur running a locker or spool then it will clank when you take corners with speed.............again great catch klug

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    oh shit....great catch! if ur running a locker or spool then it will clank when you take corners with speed.............again great catch klug
    Thanks sir! Was just researching rearends yesterday, and read something about that.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

All I can think is that it is sounding like a locker.

Red

Ok, y'all may as well be talking Chinese! I have no idea even what a spooler or locker is. My knowledge of rearends is very limited. My understanding of a limited slip rearend means that there are clutches that allow one side to rotate while the other side 'slips'. Thank each of you for your input. I will contact Midwest Chassis and ask what internals are there.

98' trans am

Ok, y'all may as well be talking Chinese! I have no idea even what a spooler or locker is. My knowledge of rearends is very limited. My understanding of a limited slip rearend means that there are clutches that allow one side to rotate while the other side 'slips'. Thank each of you for your input. I will contact Midwest Chassis and ask what internals are there.
    midwest offers different style internals so you may not get far.

here

Red

Thanks Shady. That locker definition made sense. I don't think it's a locker. The tires never chirped while negotiating a turn and don't now. It really sounds and feels like the limited slip clutches are binding inside the rearend instead of 'slipping' like they should be. I looked for the receipt that the previous owner shipped with the car, but it wasn't there. I have looked under the car and it truly is a Midwest Chassis 9". I will contact MC and ask some questions. Thanks man.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks Shady. That locker definition made sense. I don't think it's a locker. The tires never chirped while negotiating a turn and don't now. It really sounds and feels like the limited slip clutches are binding inside the rearend instead of 'slipping' like they should be. I looked for the receipt that the previous owner shipped with the car, but it wasn't there. I have looked under the car and it truly is a Midwest Chassis 9". I will contact MC and ask some questions. Thanks man.
    Almost have my money on a locker. Just seems what you are explaining are symptoms are of a locker.
    Jack up the rear of the car so the wheels are off the ground and mess around with it. If the wheels spin the same way no matter what = spool.
    If the spin opposite of each other = some type of limited slip
    Gives you at least a little better clue. Post the sounds you get while doing this.

Red

Thank you Klug23. Going to get the oil changed soon along with the rear diff fluid. I'll check the way the wheels spin when they have it up on the lift. Thanks.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

sorry not tryin to steal this thread quick question. it seems like my car has the same problem. it is possible though? i have a stock 10 bolt. sorry about the steal and good luck with your problem hercules

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    sorry not tryin to steal this thread quick question. it seems like my car has the same problem. it is possible though? i have a stock 10 bolt. sorry about the steal and good luck with your problem hercules

well rest assured your 10 bolt does not have a spool..that sound you are hearing is your 10 bolt getting ready to shit its guts out ...to put it politely

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Going to get the oil changed soon along with the rear diff fluid.
    Men with LS1s do this themselves and I agree, sounds like a Detroit Locker to me.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Klug23 View Post
    If the wheels spin the same way no matter what = spool.
    If the spin opposite of each other = some type of limited slip

If they spin the same way =it could be a clutch type posi or a spool.
    If they spin opposite=it could be an open diff, a locker, or Torsen posi.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post

Yes Cutlass is right, an Auburn and a Torsen will spin tires different ways.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

i know this. no reason to get technical on a guy that doesnt know a ton. plus how often do f bodys use clutch type?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Just wanted to correct the misinfo. no biggie
    Probablly a lot of aftermarket rear end use clutch type and I believe all 98 f-bodies used the auburn clutch posi. 99 to 2002 got the Torsen gear driven posi which will spin like a open diff if you have both wheel in the air.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Just wanted to correct the misinfo. no biggie
    Probablly a lot of aftermarket rear end use clutch type and I believe all 98 f-bodies used the auburn clutch posi. 99 to 2002 got the Torsen gear driven posi which will spin like a open diff if you have both wheel in the air.
    Auburn is a cone type.

Red

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I just received word from Midwest Chassis that the rearend in my car is a Strange nodular S case, daytona support, 1350 series yoke, and a Truetrac diff unit. The advisor told me that the Truetrac was clutchless and that I should check the axle bearings and the caliper rotor clearances to see if they are rubbing. Caliper rotor clearances seems fruitless as the sounds started out of the blue. If it was a clearance issue, the sounds would have been there from the git go. Looks like I need to focus on the axle bearings. Sorry for putting y'all through this guessing game. Soooo, is the Truetrac diff unit a limited slip unit?????
    Thanks,
    Don

Thread Information